skip to the main content area of this page

Search results

You searched for: Place: "Aynho" "Aynho", Resource: Victoria County History

Showing 1 resource containing 37 matches.

  • * Victoria County History *

    37 results from this resource, ordered by relevance. Displaying 1 to 20 View more View all

    Hospitals Aynho

    Hospitals Aynho 24. THE HOSPITAL OF AYNHO The hospital of Aynho , built for the relief of the poor, the sick, and infirm, and dedicated in honour of SS. James and John, stood at the west entrance of the village.

    Parishes Souldern SOULDERN

    The county boundary which runs through the southern end of Aynho Park and follows Ockley Brook bounds the parish on the north; the Cherwell forms the western and the Aynho and Somerton roads most of the eastern and southern boundaries.

    Houses of Benedictine monks Abbey of Walden

    Northolt in Middlesex , Chippenham in Cambridgeshire , Amersham in Buckinghamshire , Streatley in Berkshire , Kingham in Oxfordshire , Aynho in Northamptonshire , and Compton in Warwickshire ; and also 120 acres of arable land at Walden , 100

    Parishes Barcheston

    the king's manor of Great (or Long) Compton (q.v.). William de Mandeville, Earl of Essex , in 1170 when granting Aynho ( Northants .) to Roger fitz Richard in exchange for Compton also confirmed to him 'the land of Willington

    Parishes Long Compton

    of his wife's sister, 9 as in 1170 William de Mandeville, 3rd Earl of Essex , granted the manor of Aynho ( Northants .) to the said Roger in exchange for Compton . 10 On the death of Earl William

    Parishes Stoke Mandeville

    From these feoffees this manor must shortly have passed to Henry Brudenell , a younger son of William Brudenell of Aynho . 34 By his will, dated 22 Jan. 1430 -1, he left the manor of Oldbury to his third

    Parishes Faxton Balliol. Gules a voided scutcheon argent . Welles. Or a lion sable with a forked tail . Nicolls. Sable three broad-arrow heads or .

    the manors of Heyford, Faxton , and half o f Newbold on his wife Mary and on Anthony Morgan of Aynho , his brother and heir apparent, upon the occasion of the marriage of Anthony Morgan of Llanfihangel alias Michael's

    Religious houses Introduction

    of Canterbury at the abbey gate of Peterborough ; and the well-endowed hospital of St. John and St. James at Aynho under episcopal institution. In the year 1200 another largely-endowed hospital, the masters of which were presented by the adjacent

    Banbury Education

    's Classical and Commercial school in 1848 seems to have come to an end in 1856 when Cooke moved to Aynho Grammar school. 75 J. H. Beale , who first came to Banbury in 1854 as the head master of

    Parishes Clattercote

    of Clattercote to Thomas (d. 1651). 27 Thomas's son, also Thomas, in 1674 sold the property to John Cartwright of Aynho ( Northants .), who was given security against the claims of Henry Boothby 's descendants. 28 Cartwright's descendants held

    Parishes Deddington Deddington , 1908 Deddington , 1808

    stands on low ground near the river Cherwell, mostly on the Lo wer Lias clay. 8 The local rhyme, ' Aynho on the Hill / Clifton in the Clay / Dirty, drunken, Deddington / And Hempton high way', aptly describes

    Parishes Over Worton Over Worton , 1760

    charity feoffees; 54 but he fell into financial difficulties and in 1649 the manor was sold to John Cartwright of Aynho ( Northants .), 55 whose descendants held it for 150 years. 56 William Cartwright may have lived in the

    The borough of Nuneaton

    Baptist minister and hymn-writer, born at Attleborough in Jan. 1773 . 113 Dr. Robert Wild , ejected in 1662 from Aynho , Northants ., is believed to have been the founder of Nonconformity in Nuneaton . 114 In 1672 licence

    Romano-British remains Roads

    the line of the Portway (as marked on O.S.) from the Akeman Street to Aynho , and note s that in Northamptonshire , east of Aynho , Morton 39 says it was still pitched with stones in 1712 . Grundy,

    Parishes Ardley

    seems to have been usually leased separately. 152 From at least 1559 to 1584 the patron was Edward Love of Aynho ( Northants ), who had also been patron of Stoke Lyne . 153 He twice sold his right of

    Parishes Somerton

    out in land'. 321 This charity was later neglected and lost until 1806, when the Revd. John Martin Watson of Aynho ( Northants ), nephew of the original benefactor, gave £62, the principal and interest, to the parish. 322 In

    Charities for the Poor

    parishioners shared in the municipal charities of Brookes, Taunton , and Hitchings , in John Baker 's charity, given to Aynho ( Northants .) in 1816 (in default of suitable applicants from that parish), and in Francis Hunt 's charity.

    The hundred of Burnham Amersham

    242 Thomas Grove died leaving a daughter and heir Agnes, who carried this estate in marriage to William Brudenell of Aynho , Northants , by whom she had three sons, William, E dmund and Henry, 243 of whom Edmund obtained

    Parishes Bucknell BUCKNELL

    Caversfield , who removed many hawthorn bushes in 1764 and planted trees both then and in 1780 . 9 The Aynho and Ashendon section of the former G.W.R.'s main line from London to Birmingham crosses the centre of the parish,

    Magdalen College

    the churches of Selborne and Basing) discovered another decayed priory for his college, and next year yet another hospital, at Aynho . 47 Thomas Danvers was the late patron of this, and he further gave Findon rectory in 1502 .

Workspace options

Save this search to your workspace

Save checked results (you can make connections from your workspace)

Save and connect checked results to an existing connection

Don't have an account?

Register now to set up your own personal workspace

Bookmarking options

Download options

Click the checkbox next to each item

Donations

As a not-for-profit service, we welcome donations from our users.