skip to the main content area of this page

Search results

You searched for: Place: "Ashford" "Ashford", Resource: Victoria County History

Showing 1 resource containing 77 matches.

  • * Victoria County History *

    77 results from this resource, ordered by relevance. Displaying 1 to 20 View more View all

    Spelthorne Hundred Ashford Westminster Abbey

    Spelthorne Hundred AshfordASHFORD Ecclesforde, Exeforde (xi cent.); Echelesforde, Echeleforde (xiii-xiv cent.); Echelford, Assheford, Asheford (xvi-xviii cent.). Ashford derives its name from the River Ash , which runs through the western corner of the parish, and from a ford over

    Harefield Charities

    for cleaning the schoolroom. 87 The Ashford charity was founded by the will of John Ashford (proved 1867) and provided £600 stock for meat, bread, fuel, or clothes. In 1954 the Goodman and Ashford charities both issued tickets that could

    Stanwell Nonconformity

    It was a corrugated iron building, which was damaged in the Second World War. In 1956 it was served from Ashford , though it had generally had a resident layreader in the past. In 1956 there were 195 children in

    Staines Churches

    had jurisdiction over a large area, with Teddington , Ashford , Laleham , and possibly Yeoveney as dependent chapelries. Teddington became virtually independent in the 13th century. 41 Laleham and Ashford were regarded as separate parishes, with fixed boundaries and


    at the time of the Domesday Survey, 1 and contained, as it has since contained, the following parishes:- ASHFORD HANWORTH STAINES EAST BEDFONT with HATTON LALEHAM STANWELL FELTHAM LITTLETON SUNBURY HAMPTON with HAMPTON WICK SHEPPERTON TEDDINGTON Littleton is the only

    Stanwell Schools

    1885 46 and attendance remained at about 70-100 until 1937, although the seniors were moved to Woodthorpe Road School , Ashford , in 1932 . 47 In 1938 Lord Knyvett 's was transferred to the county council, 48 and the

    Parishes Steep

    Sussex ), and partly in Ambersham (co. Hants ). Its descent has been identical with that of Ambersham (q.v.). ASHFORDASHFORD manor is a sub-manor dependent upon the great episcopal manor of East Meon , 18 and was held in

    Staines Protestant nonconformity

    Mill Mead for some years around 1882. 69 Some Christian Scientists who had been meeting in a private house in Ashford since 1938 began to hold their services in the girl guides' hut in Station Path, Staines , in 1947

    Editorial note

    , Heston and Isleworth , and Twickenham , and their staffs, and the staffs of the county library branches at Ashford , Hayes , and Uxbridge . No less helpful have been the clerks of the boroughs of Ealing ,

    Domesday Survey Introduction I DOMESDAY MAP

    unit, and Ashford , 1 hide (60), with Staines , 19 hides (40), form another 20-hide unit. Round assumes that Ashford and Staines together form one entity, 22 and since Domesday specifically states that the soke of Ashford belonged to

    Staines Introduction

    technically in Middlesex . Ashford , Laleham , and Teddington were all chapelries of Staines in the earlier Middle Ages, but a reference to the beating of the parish bounds in 1491 3 shows that, though Ashford was still ecclesiastically

    Ifield Education

    Crawley village, later town, included a boarding school, begun in 1831 and surviving in 1835 , 35 which was possibly Ashford , a ladies' boarding and day school; 36 a day school run by Sarah Wright from 1862 or earlier

    Spelthorne Hundred Laleham Bingham , Earl of Lucan Spiller Reynell Eglesfeld

    the east. The main road from Staines to Kingston runs just within the northern boundary, and roads from Staines , Ashford , and Shepperton converge on the village. The parish is sparsely wooded, and is laid out almost entirely in

    North Leigh Nonconformity

    house in the afternoons or evenings. 36 Open-air services and camp-meetings were held in the 1820s at the crossroads by Ashford mill, and Methodist numbers increased sharply in the 1820s , perhaps the reason why, in 1825 and 1826, two

    North Leigh Introduction

    an unnamed stream, probably known in Saxon times as the Itchen , 7 meanders to join the river Evenlode at Ashford bridge. Its line apparently follows that taken by the river Windrush before the latter changed course to flow south

    Spaxton Spaxton , Charlinch and Postridge c. 1838

    . A water works and pumping station were established near Ashford mill, on the northern boundary of the parish, in 1879 to provide water for Bridgwater . The small Ashford reservoir was opened in 1934 . 8 A friendly society,

    Index to the translation of the Domesday Survey

    William son of, see William Ansgar the Staller (TRE) , 68-73 Ansgot , tenant of Geoffrey de Mandeville (TRW), 69 Ashford ( Exeforde ), 60 Aubrey de Ver see Ver Azor , housecarl of King Edward (TRE), 76-79 Azor ,

    Spelthorne Hundred East Bedfont with Hatton Bedfont Church , from the South Windsor Percy, Duke of Northumberland Christ's Hospital

    London to the south-west of England , narrowing about the village, to the east of which it spreads southward towards Ashford , while westward and northward a long tongue of land includes the hamlet of Hatton and reaches as far

    Bridgwater Local government

    1709 . 98 The water was conveyed in hollow elm pipes. 99 From 1879 a public supply was brought from Ashford in Spaxton via the reservoir on Wembdon Hill . Reservoirs were built at Durleigh in 1938 and at Hawkridge

    List of illustrations

    permission to reproduce photographs and drawings in their possession: Middlesex County Library ( Ashford Branch); Boymans van Beuningen Museum, Rotterdam ; City of London Guildhall Library; Wm. Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. and Mr. R. M. Robbins ; Country Life

Workspace options

Save this search to your workspace

Save checked results (you can make connections from your workspace)

Save and connect checked results to an existing connection

Don't have an account?

Register now to set up your own personal workspace

Bookmarking options

Download options

Click the checkbox next to each item


As a not-for-profit service, we welcome donations from our users.