skip to the main content area of this page

Search results

You searched for: Place: "Arnolds" "Arnolds", Resource: Victoria County History

Showing 1 resource containing 22 matches.

  • * Victoria County History *

    22 results from this resource, ordered by relevance. Displaying 1 to 20 View more View all

    Quedgeley Church

    glass. 53 The aisle has a panelled roof with carved bosses and coats of arms of the Barrows and the Arnolds . In the early 18th century the south aisle belonged to the Barrows of Field Court in Hardwicke ,

    Lambourne Introduction

    wet weather. 19 The most serious flooding occurred on the main London road , between Arnolds and Abridge . About ½ mile west of Arnolds the Roding flows beside the road and is joined by a stream which rises near

    Parishes Trumpington

    of 1486 one manor, ARNOLDS , was held of the Crown as 1/40 fee. 287 The other, TINCOTES , was supposed by the 1520s to be held of De la Poles . 288 By 1232 Arnolds was held by Alan

    Edmonton Other estates

    St. Giles wood was conveyed with other woods to Lord Burghley in 1574 49 and was subsequently part of the Arnolds estate. 50 Although the Benedictine nunnery of St. Helen , Bishopsgate , owned land in Edmonton c . 1274,

    Lambourne Manors

    of the farm was 160 acres. 65 The manor of ARNEWAYS , whose name has been corrupted to the modern ARNOLDS , probably took its name from Adam Arneway, who is said to have held land in Lambourne 'about the

    Tottenham Other estates

    1364 , and from Ollescamp to John Cambridge , a fishmonger, in 1371 . 4 Cambridge , who also acquired Arnolds and other lands, 5 vested the property in William Walworth and others, from whom it passed to the king,

    Parishes Capel

    many vague statements of other immemorial holdings. Arnolds , formerly called Arnold 's Beare , was rebuilt by Mr. Bayley in 1885 . Mrs. Bayley , his widow, has recently sold it. The Arnolds were also landholders in Betchworth .

    Edmonton Charities for the poor

    the remainder was paid into the sick and poor fund. Southgate Charities. 68 The charity of Sir John Weld of Arnolds (d. 1623) provided for payments of £13 6 s . 8 d . to 6 poor kindred and £2

    Parishes Mickleham

    and Joan Leaver , as his heirs. The former married Edward Arnold , 78 the latter Edward Turner . The Arnolds in 1682 sold their moiety to Mr. John Spencer of Dorking , who in 1691 purchased Turner 's moiety.

    Edmonton Churches

    of burials are complete from 1557, those of baptisms and marriages from 1558. 68 In 1615 Sir John Weld of Arnolds in Southgate erected a small chapel on his own land near his house for the use of his family

    Cowfold Cowfold and Shermanbury 1909

    52 Swain, in 1309 , 53 and Arnold , in 1327 54 were later used in the names of farms, Arnolds becoming known later as Capons. 55 By the early 14th century farmsteads were widely scattered through the parish, if


    72 by his son, later Sir Thomas Allen , who in 1627 married Mary, daughter of Sir John Weld of Arnolds in Southgate . 73 In 1674 Sir Thomas settled his extensive Middlesex estates, including Bibbesworth, in tail male. On


    Spencer . The Spencers had long settled at St. Neots, where they had by intermarriage inherited the tenements of the Arnolds before the dissolution of the Priory. 30 In 1680 Nathaniel Jemmat and Elizabeth sold their moiety of the ferry

    Wadham College

    weekly. These wages were paid in addition to special sums for details like windows and pinnacles and are generous; the Arnolds were evidently masons of some reputation, and William, who is styled 'Mr.' at intervals in the accounts and was

    Clanfield Economic history 43. Clanfield parish before inclosure in 1839 , showing approximate location of open fields 44. Little Clanfield Mill in the early 20th century 45. Disused windmill at Windmill Farm , 1907

    , and 18 c . 1599, many of them on goods rather than land. 75 Among the wealthiest were the Arnolds , 76 a freeholding family of whom one was taxed in 1544 on goods worth £20. Other leading taxpayers

    Cowfold Manors and other estates

    in Cowfold held of Ewhurst manor lay scattered over the western half of Cowfold , including Brownings , Capons (formerly Arnolds ), Crateman's, Gratwicke , Parkminster (formerly Picknoll), and the submanor of Woldringfold ; in the eastern half it included


    Hall held freehold land in Southwick from the lords of Horton manor which had passed from the Bannisters through the Arnolds to the Bridgers. The lords of Horton exercised right of wreck in Southwick in the late 18th century. 91

    Townships Spotland

    Healeyhalghes, the bounds going from Shore to Heaves in Balshaw, to the brook, to Falinge Syke , Spot Brook (Spodden), Arnolds Rode, Elis Rode, and Light Hazels ; ibid, iii, 777. William the son of Peter and others made supplementary

    Parishes Gamlingay

    sub-let, the greater part, later known as Parsons farm, in one unit, the rest in small parcels, later consolidated as Arnolds farm. The main farm was of 380 a. and there were nearly 40 a. of wood in the lessee's


    and poor rel., pop., postal svces., pub. svces., rect. roads, schs., stage coach svces., top., worthies, see also Abridge , Arnolds , Bishops Hall, Dews Hall, Patch Park , Pryors, St. Johns Lambourne End , in Lambourne , Lampet ,

Workspace options

Save this search to your workspace

Save checked results (you can make connections from your workspace)

Save and connect checked results to an existing connection

Don't have an account?

Register now to set up your own personal workspace

Bookmarking options

Download options

Click the checkbox next to each item


As a not-for-profit service, we welcome donations from our users.