skip to the main content area of this page

Search results

You searched for: Place: "Ardley" "Ardley", Resource: Victoria County History

Showing 1 resource containing 33 matches.

  • * Victoria County History *

    33 results from this resource, ordered by relevance. Displaying 1 to 20 View more View all

    Parishes Ardley

    Ardley , passed to his grandson Thomas Pope . 107 In June 1646 his estates between Oxford and Banbury , presumably including Ardley , were reported to be 'consumed by the King's garrisons', and in 1650 they were sequestered.

    Statistical material, 1086-1768

    Total no. of tenants No. of manors No. of lesser estates Free tenants Nativi Servi Cottars Total no. of tenants Ardley 1 8 15 23 1 5 9 14 Bicester 1 28 14 5 47 1 3 14 17 Bignell

    Parishes South Weston

    that of Ardley in Ploughley hundred, descended through the earls of Chester , who were also lords of the neighbouring manor of Pyrton , to the earls of Arundel . 16 In 1235, for instance, both Weston and Ardley were

    Parishes Somerton

    of the De Grey manor of Somerton , 128 and the survey of 1279 records that Ardley manor consisted of 1/2 fee in Ardley and 1/2 fee in the part of th e vill of Somerton called Northbrook . 129

    Parishes Stoke Lyne STOKE LYNE

    1933 the livings of Stoke Lyne and Ardley were united. 239 Since then Col. the Hon. E. H. Wyndham has had the right to present for two turns, and the patron of Ardley for one. In the Middle Ages the

    Parishes Tusmore

    son of Robert , lord of the manor of Ardley and the descendant of Drew d'Aundeley who had been Robert d'Oilly's tenant of Hardwick in 1086 . 43 The lords of Ardley 44 may well have held this half -fee

    Ploughley hundred PLOUGHLEY HUNDRED

    .) from Wendlebury and a bushel of oats with a fat goose (or 3 s . 6 d .) from Ardley . The total revenue was £11 6 s . 91/2 d . The Hundred Rolls and the eyre rolls

    Parishes Hardwick

    to Cottisford , but today ( 1955 ) there is only a bridle track. The nearest railway station is at Ardley , three miles distant. The name Hardwick 5 means in Old English a sheep farm or perhaps a cattle

    Parishes Fritwell

    was a somewhat similar dispute with Elias, Rector of Ardley , who claimed certain tithes of sheaves ( garbarum ), and of hay in Fritwell meadow, from the lord of Ardley . The rector agreed after an inquiry by papal

    Parishes Upper Heyford SKETCH MAP OF UPPER HEYFORD C. 1800

    Domesday records no woodland, 6 but Davis shows Child Grove on the Ardley boundary, and it has been suggested that this wood and Ballard 's Copse in Ardley were once the 'Little Ciltene' of a 10th-century charter. 7 Today the

    Shipton-on-Cherwell Manors and other estates

    who held a court for the manor in 1620 . 73 A mesne lordship appears to have followed that of Ardley . 74 Ralph son of Roger gave 5 s. in Shipton to Godstow abbey at its foundation in 1138

    Parishes Bucknell BUCKNELL

    ); 6 a road from Middleton Stoney to Bicester skirts the southern boundary and roads radiate from the village to Ardley , the Banbury road , Bicester itself, and Middleton . Farm tracks and foot-paths still mark the line of

    Parishes Ardeley

    Erdele (xi-xiii cent.); Erdele or Ardley (xiv cent.); Yerdley (xv-xvi cent.); Yardley (xvi cent. to about 1850). The parish of Ardeley was included in Odsey Hundred until 14 October 1843 , when it was transferred to Edwinstree Hundred. 1 It

    List of abbreviations

    vii, History of Fritwell and Souldern ( London , 1893) Blo. Ard., Buck ., Cav., Stoke Part viii, History of Ardley , Bucknell , Caversfield , and Stoke Lyne ( London , 1894) Blo. Fin . J. C. Blomfield ,

    Parishes Weston-on-the-Green

    produce and stock were worth another £5. 79 Like other Oseney manors Weston and its dependent estates at Chesterton and Ardley sent considerable quantities of produce to the abbey-wheat and oats, cattle, pigs and poultry, cheese, butter and eggs, and

    Index

    (fl. 1279), 305-6; Thos. (d. by 1231 ), 303, 304; Thos. (fl. 1259), 304; fam., 356 Ardley , Elias, r. of, 12, 143 Ardley , 4, 6, 7-14, 254, 312, 320, 349; ch. bldg., 13; ch. hist., 11-13, 143, 321,

    The Domesday survey Introduction

    hides, 2 or some multiple of that amount. Assessments of this type are distributed over the whole of the county. Ardley , Islip , Elsfield , Checkendon , Cogges , Hanwell , Stratton Audley , Swerford , Cuxham , and

    Little Bedwyn LITTLE BEDWYN c . 1820 The North Arcade Of The Church

    1700 . 21 Part of the heath bought by Ralph Ardley alias Early from Cook in 1575 22 was estimated at 45 a. in 1640 and descended in the Ardley alias Early family until c . 1730 or later. 23

    Parishes Cottisford

    the college on Juniper Hill , which was part of the heath, when the tenant of Sir John Holman of Ardley ploughed Sir John 's 'heath piece' there. 198 In about 1690 the Eton estate in Cottisford was valued at

    Romano-British remains Topographical index Fig. 41. Relief, possibly of Vulcan, from Duns Tew , 16 in. high. (From Gentleman's Magazine , 1862) Fig. 42 (1/1) (From P.S.A . xxiii, 406)

    in the village. [Beesley, Banbury , 610; Gepp, Adderbury , 1. ] Alchester. Town site, see above, pp. 281 ff. Ardley . 'Remains' are marked on the 1833 ed. of the 1-inch O.S. map (sheet 45) on the eastern edge

Workspace options

Save this search to your workspace

Save checked results (you can make connections from your workspace)

Save and connect checked results to an existing connection

Don't have an account?

Register now to set up your own personal workspace

Bookmarking options

Download options

Click the checkbox next to each item

Donations

As a not-for-profit service, we welcome donations from our users.