skip to the main content area of this page

Search results

You searched for: Place: "Anchor" "Anchor", Resource: Victoria County History

Showing 1 resource containing 93 matches.

  • * Victoria County History *

    93 results from this resource, ordered by relevance. Displaying 1 to 20 View more View all

    Kennett Economic history

    Between 1950 and 1970 the numbers of beef cattle increased from 105 to 184, and in 1976 the owner of Anchor farm on the Herringswell Road began to raise such cattle. 27 Pigs were also kept on the demesne in

    Cannington Local government

    held courts in the early 19th century for Cannington and Rodway . His tenants were given a treat at the Anchor and he paid a bailiff and a woodward. 44 Blackmoor manor court records survive for 1556-7 and 1611: the

    Abbess Roding Nonconformity

    the church stood the Sunday school. 83 Anchor House , which appears to have become a public house in the 19th century (see above) retained its licence until about 1910. 84 The iron anchor which served as an inn sign

    Parishes Elvetham

    of this parish receive the rents and profits of a house at Cove in Yateley , known as ' The Anchor ,' with 7 acres or thereabouts adjoining, derived under the will of Sir Robert Reynolds , and a deed

    Rodborough Introduction Woodchester And Rodborough Area c. 1840

    sought to close in 1788 were the New Inn , which has not be en found recorded later, and the Anchor , 74 near Wallbridge, 75 which nevertheless continued as a public house. By 1805 there was also the Woolpack

    Gloucester Street names

    . 1220, 1799; 4 Alngate , or Onnyat, Lane , 1810, 1825. 5 Ailesgate Street , see Eastgate Street . Anchor Alley , see Turnstile Alley. Archdeacon (or Deacon ) Street, c . 1230, 6 from house of archdeacon of

    Chigwell Public services

    Girls, continued until 1914. 98 A Female Benefit Society meeting at Chigwell Row was registered in 1808 , and the Anchor and Hope Benefit Society meeting at Buckhurst Hill in 1832 . 99 In 1884 the vestry resolved to maintain

    Salisbury St Martin's parish

    Street and Love Lane both occur in the 15th century. 30 In Gigant Street are various commercial premises, including the Anchor Brewery dating partly from the 18th or early 19th century. In 1751 the bishop's pound stood in Love Lane

    Parishes Maulden

    village has been somewhat spoilt by the erection of many modern cottages not in keeping with their surroundings. The ' Anchor ,' an old half-timber and thatch inn, stands picturesquely on the south of the main road at the west

    Cannington Cannington (southern part) 1839

    name was still in use in 1883 , probably for a private house. 68 The Anchor , also called the Blue Anchor or Old Blue Anchor , was recorded in 1767 and was kept by the May family until the

    Ford Ford Church c . 1900

    the Ship and Anchor inn in 1813 . 94 The opening of the canal in 1823 seems to have caused an increase in river traffic. There was a wharf with a warehouse at the Ship and Anchor in 1839 ,

    Freemasonry

    Chippenham Lansdowne 1853 Unity 1938 Lansdowne 1945 Corsham Rectitude 1812 " Corsham 1948 Devizes Fidelity 1856 Harmony 1869 Keystone 1874 Anchor (R.A.M.) 1887 Ludgershall Border 1905 Malmesbury St. Aldhelm 1901 St. Aldhelm 1906 Marlborough Loyalty 1875 Methuen 1883 Melksham Chaloner

    Wivenhoe Local government

    48 In the 18th and early 19th centuries the vestry met at the Swan , the Falcon , or the Anchor , inns. 49 Between 1 847 and 1894 it met at the church from 5 to 13 times a

    Parishes Barcombe PARISH CHURCH of ST. MARY BARCOMBE

    newels, two supporting an arch in the hall and a larger one in the staircase. There are others at the Anchor , and Ewhurst , Spithurst . These all appear to have been ship furniture introduced by Sir William Grantham

    North Petherton North Petherton 1841

    was still in business in 1984 but closed shortly afterwards. The White Horse was recorded in 1676 32 and the Anchor in 1699 . 33 The Lion, mentioned in 1711 , 34 may be the White Lion which was rebuilt

    Bethnal Green Protestant Nonconformity

    Castle St ., 1793 73 and no. 2 'near the New Rd .' 1794; 74 Jas. Turner reg. hos. in Anchor St. 75 and Green St . 1795. 76 Ho . belonging to magistrate John Wilmot on N. side of

    Wennington WENNINGTON CREEK c. 1600

    in Wennington called Old Lentrops, later the Anchor . 297 In 1837 the rentcharge was still being paid by the owner of Wennington House , which stood on the site of the Anchor . 298 It was then stated that

    Lyng Lyng 1843

    where in 1686 the inn had 8 beds and stabling for 16 horses. 84 By 1708 an inn called the Anchor or Burrow inn was established at Burrow . By 1797 it was known as the Bell and by 1806

    Parishes Bishopstoke

    with its enormous fish pond. The greater number of the older houses of the village with the two inns, 'The Anchor ' and 'The Angler,' are grouped here and higher up the road beyond the old church of St. Mary

    Gloucester , 1720-1835 Social and cultural life

    numerous in the Island and around the quay, where such old-established houses as the Ship, the Star , and the Anchor benefited from the river trade and were often kept by men involved in it. 35 The total number of

Workspace options

Save this search to your workspace

Save checked results (you can make connections from your workspace)

Save and connect checked results to an existing connection

Don't have an account?

Register now to set up your own personal workspace

Bookmarking options

Download options

Click the checkbox next to each item

Donations

As a not-for-profit service, we welcome donations from our users.