skip to the main content area of this page

Search results

You searched for: Place: "Alton" "Alton", Resource: Victoria County History

Showing 1 resource containing 102 matches.

  • * Victoria County History *

    102 results from this resource, ordered by relevance. Displaying 1 to 20 View more View all

    Selborne hundred Index map and introduction INDEX MAP to the HUNDRED of SELBORNE

    of Alton and Selborne were both included in the hundred of Neatham at the time of the Domesday Survey, 1 and although no definite date can be given for the division it must have come before 1217, since Alton hundred

    Parishes Alton Barnes

    with the Alton Barnes portion. In 1885 the Alton Barnes land at Shaw was transferred to the chapelry of Alton Priors in Overton parish. Alton Barnes and Alton Priors were merged in 1934 to form the parish of Alton .

    Preface

    J. Hardy . Mr. Gotley 's connection with the Victoria History was severed before any portion of the topography of Alton Hundred was completed. In the course of a work which deals on a great scale with English armory, and

    Parishes Rock or Aka

    Wyre Forest , 66 as to hunting rights in Alton Woods . Ralph claimed 2,000 acres of woodland at Alton , but Edmund maintained there was no such vill as Alton in Worcestershire , that the wood, only 1,000 acres

    Parishes Medsted

    railway bridge on the Alton branch of the London and South Western Railway , which runs through the parish for about a mile and a half, north of and parallel to the main road to Alton . There is a

    Parishes Figheldean

    226 The great tithes of Alton Parva and Alton Magna belonged at the Dissolution to Alton church which, as a free chapel, was appropriated by the Crown. 227 In 1607 the Crown conveyed those tithes, ALTON RECTORY estate, to agents,

    Houses of Cistercian monks The abbey of Croxden

    THE ABBEY OF CROXDEN In 1176 Bertram de Verdun, lord of Alton , a baron of the Exchequer and a royal justice, granted land at 'Chotes', probably Cotton near Alton , to the Cistercians of Aunay-sur-Odon in Normandy as the

    The hundred of Bishop's Sutton Index map and introduction INDEX MAP to the HUNDRED of BISHOPS SUTTON

    hides 1 virgate. 2 Headley , which was included in Bishop's Sutton hundred in 1831 , and is now in Alton hundred, was entered under Neatham hundred, but was said to be reckoned as part of Esselei. 3 Bighton at

    Parishes Shalden

    Alton to Odiham , and the village lies about half a mile to the west of this road and is connected with it by Stancombe Lane . The principal road through the village is that from Shalden Green to

    Parishes Bradley

    21 William soon afterwards made over the manor in fee to his younger brother Bernard, generally called Bernard Brocas of Alton and Bradley , 22 who in 1428 was returned as holding half a knight's fee in Bradley which had

    Bentley liberty and parish Index Map to the Liberty of Bentley

    of white thorn, lies on the main road from Farnham to Alton , which is supposed to be an ancient Pilgrims' Way leading from Farnham through Bentley and Alton to Winchester . The forest of Alice Holt in the neighbouring

    Parishes Lasham

    of the parish on the main road from Alton to Basingstoke , at a height of 560 ft. above the ordnance datum, and is served by Bentworth and Lasham station on the Alton and Basingstoke branch of the London and

    Houses of Benedictine monks New Minster , or the Abbey of Hyde

    son. Henry I . made several grants to the abbey, among them the churches of Kingsclere and Alton and 5 hides in Alton which William I . had given in exchange for land in the city of Winchester . 4

    Foreword and acknowledgements

    Fitch Fund, whose generous support is gratefully acknowledged; the maps were redrawn (from drafts by VCH staff) by Cath D' Alton and her colleagues in the Drawing Office of University College, London . The general editing at VCH Central Office

    Leek Rudyard RUDYARD 1991

    Rudyard was subject to the overlord's manor court at Alton , where a headborough for Rudyard tithing was sworn at least between 1732 and 1823 . 6 Rudyard remained part of Alton constablewick in 1851 . 7 In 1507 the

    Parishes Priors Dean

    was transferred to the church of Colemore by Richard, the son of Turstin, the sheriff, 32 who was parson of Alton and Colemore . 33 The living is still a chapelry annexed to the rectory of Colemore . Statistics from

    Parishes Overton

    detached fragment of Alton Priors called the Black Horse , reckoned to contain some 75 a. (30 ha.), was transferred to Wilcot , and Shaw in Alton Barnes to Alton Priors . 17 The area of Alton Priors was thereafter

    Parishes Ropley

    on the Bentley , Alton , and Fareham branch of the London and South- Western railway, which passes through it on the north-west. Parallel to the railway runs the main road from New Alresford to Alton , which enters the

    Parishes Bentworth

    Bynteworth (xiv cent.). Bentworth lies to the west of Alton , and has an acreage of 3,763 acres, of which about 280 acres are woodland, and the remainder divided equally between arable and grassland. 1 The soil is clay and

    House of Cistercian monks Abbey of Waverley

    rector of Alton , the abbot and convent were permitted in 1250 to celebrate divine service in the oratory which they had built within the grange of Neatham , saving the rights of the mother church of Alton and the

Workspace options

Save this search to your workspace

Save checked results (you can make connections from your workspace)

Save and connect checked results to an existing connection

Don't have an account?

Register now to set up your own personal workspace

Bookmarking options

Download options

Click the checkbox next to each item

Donations

As a not-for-profit service, we welcome donations from our users.