skip to the main content area of this page

Search results

You searched for: Place: "Aldingbourne" "Aldingbourne", Resource: Victoria County History

Showing 1 resource containing 24 matches.

  • * Victoria County History *

    24 results from this resource, ordered by relevance. Displaying 1 to 20 View more View all

    Aldingbourne Parish Church of St Mary Aldingbourne

    AldingbourneALDINGBOURNE The parish contains 3,098 acres and measures 4 miles from north to south with an average width of a little over a mile. It is mostly good agricultural land lying between 25 and 50 ft. above sea-level, but

    Eartham Parish Church of St Margaret Eartham

    to the manors of Aldingbourne (11 hides), Bishopstone (2 hides), and Preston (1 hide), and notices of their holders appear in four lists, that of persons responsible for the upkeep of the park palings at Aldingbourne ( c . 1260),

    The hundred of Box and Stockbridge Introduction

    Aldingbourne , 2 Boxgrove with Halnaker , East Hampnett and Strettington , Merston , Runcton in North Mundham , Up Waltham , and Westhampnett ). 3 Oving must at this time have formed part of the 36 hides of

    Chichester cathedral The Lady chapel

    Magdalen College , Oxford , Archdeacon of Stafford , Warden of Merton College and Bishop of Chichester , died at Aldingbourne in 1596 , aged 78. There are also monuments to Charles, 5th Duke of Richmond , 1860; Lord Arthur

    Eastergate BARNHAM AND EASTERGATE c. 1939

    single priest in charge, 23 and in 1985 Aldingbourne , Barnham , and Eastergate became one benefice, the parishes remaining distinct. In 1992 the three parishes were united as the parish of Aldingbourne , Barnham , and Eastergate . 24

    Crawley New Town Churches

    stone dated 1968. Chich. Dioc. Dir . ( 1980-1 ). Ibid. ( 1979-80 ). C.N.T. 18th Ann. Rep. 1980 , 16. Below, Rom. Cath. Chich. Dioc. Dir . ( 1982-3 ); ibid. ( 1983-4 ), s.vv. Crawley and Aldingbourne .

    List of maps and plans

    North Marden " 110 Up Marden " 113 Racton " 117 Singleton " 119 Stoughton " 125 Westbourne " 130 Aldingbourne " 137 Appledram " 140 Boxgrove Priory and Church facing 41 Donnington Church 151 Eartham " 154 Merston Church

    Bersted Parish Church of St Mary Magdalene , South Bersted

    that joins the Aldingbourne Rife , which itself forms the west boundary for a short distance before turning south-east to run across the parish. The church and village of South Bersted lie between the road to Aldingbourne , here running

    Felpham FELPHAM AND MIDDLETON c. 1875

    and western boundaries of the ancient parish generally followed the Aldingbourne rife and its tributaries the Felpham or Flansham rife 36 and the Ryebank rife; the lower part of the Aldingbourne rife, called brynes fleot in 680 and 953, at

    Earnley Earnley Church

    Accordingly, a later Luke de Ernele is found c . 1260 responsible for maintaining 2 perches of the paling of Aldingbourne Park , an amount representing 2 hides. 6 The bishop's feodary of c . 1290 shows 2 hides at

    Barnham BARNHAM c. 1762 (from W.S.R.O., Goodwood MS. E 4996 ) Barnham Court in 187 6

    single priest in charge, 5 and in 1985 Aldingbourne , Barnham , and Eastergate became a single benefice, the parishes remaining distinct. In 1992 they were united as the parish of Aldingbourne , Barnham , and Eastergate . 6 The

    Arundel Rape South-western part

    canal and then by the Brighton-Portsmouth railway. Char. Com. files, for the Five-village soc. founded in that yr.; the 5th village is Aldingbourne . Below, Binsted , econ. hist. Above, Arundel Rape . Cf. V.C.H. Suss . vi (1), 203.

    Oving Parish Church of St Andrew Oving

    the disused Arundel-Chichester canal between Groves and Colworth . Farther north a secondary road from Chichester formerly ran eastwards to Aldingbourne , but is now blocked by the Tangmere aerodrome. The two are linked by minor roads, one from Shopwyke

    Parishes Preston Remains of ancient work at Preston Manor PARISH CHURCH of ST. PETER PRESTON

    All the tenants at Preston and Hove , including Upwick, had to repair the fences of the bishop's Park at Aldingbourne for a distance of 29 perches, 5 ft. 13 In 1388 the bishop had 555 acres in the demesne,

    Boxgrove

    covered by later additions, is of timber-framing. Oar Farm, a mile south of the last and 1/2 mile west of Aldingbourne , is a house of c . 1600 refronted with 18th-century and later brickwork, but the gabled east wall

    Parishes Great Amwell

    and John Percival , and also of a quarter-fee from the nine tenants of the holding formerly of Stephen de Aldingbourne . 51 Abbot Richard promised to assign Amwell Manor to the convent, from the goods of which he had

    Index

    council , fire service, libraries, smallholdings, West Sussex Gazette , Westbourne , Prinsted , Westcote , fam., Westergate , see Aldingbourne Westeton , fam., Westhampnett : Goodwood, q.v . poor-law union, rural dist. council, Westmill , fam., Wey and Arun

    Henfield Economic history

    lord of Oreham manor and the tenant of the estate called Halland , who both also owed service of fencing Aldingbourne park, and holders of land in Woodmancote , Slaugham , Albourne , and Hurstpierpoint . Of four miscellaneous tenants

    Binsted

    children continued to attend Walberton school in 1992 ; in 1996 most older children went to school at Westergate in Aldingbourne . 50 CHARITIES FOR THE POOR. None known. This article was written in 1992 and revised in 1996 .

    Parishes Wotton

    concave flutings, in this detail and the alternation of the arch stones recalling the south arcade of the nave at Aldingbourne Church , Sussex -work of the same date c. 1190-1210 . The shafts have moulded annulets and bases. 66

Workspace options

Save this search to your workspace

Save checked results (you can make connections from your workspace)

Save and connect checked results to an existing connection

Don't have an account?

Register now to set up your own personal workspace

Bookmarking options

Download options

Click the checkbox next to each item

Donations

As a not-for-profit service, we welcome donations from our users.