skip to the main content area of this page

Search results

You searched for: Place: "Acomb" "Acomb", Resource: Victoria County History

Showing 1 resource containing 18 matches.

  • * Victoria County History *

    18 results from this resource, ordered by relevance. Displaying 1 to 18 View more View all

    The City of York

    Heworth (part), Holgate and Dringhouses , part of the parish of Fulford , most of the parish of Acomb , and Acomb Moor. 1 The history of these places is treated in the volume only in so far as it

    Modern York Religious life in the nineteenth and twentieth centuries

    Stone Lane district, Heworth , Tang Hall , and Acomb . In all these places churches had been built to serve the new populations before 1939; in the southern portion of Acomb , which is remote both from the parish

    Public services York County Hospital , Monkgate York Dispensary

    of York '. 13 The 'neighbourhood' was Acomb , Holgate , Heworth , Clifton , Dringhouses , Middlethorpe , Gate Fulford , Heslington , and Osbaldwick . The new works were built at Acomb Landing and originally consisted of 2

    The boundaries of the City PARISH AND TOWNSHIPS AROUND YORK 1850 THE RIDDEN BOUNDARIES MODERN BOUNDARY EXTENSIONS

    Junior, but for all other purposes was considered to be a township of Acomb : thus, in 1379 , for example, Holgate paid its poll tax with Acomb ; 13 for the purposes of collecting county rates in the 18th

    Learned societies, museums, libraries and galleries

    in 1957 . 10 When Acomb and Dringhouses were brought within the city in 1937 , 11 the corporation assumed the responsibility to maintain branch libraries as the West Riding authorities had done previously. The Acomb branch was moved from

    Modern York The City after 1939

    a pressing post-war housing problem. Much building took place in the areas added to the city in 1934 and 1937-in Acomb , Dringhouses , and on the north side of York . A further extension of the city boundaries, for

    Roman Catholicism

    the two side aisles and in the clerestory. Adjoining the church is a presbytery. Roman Catholic services were begun in Acomb Council school in 1941 . The CHURCH OF OUR LADY, Cornlands Road, was opened in 1955 . There is

    Houses of Augustinian canons The priory of Breedon

    Gervase, presented 1223, 35 resigned 1244. 36 Walter of Stokes, presented 1245. 37 T., occurs before 1253. 38 Thomas of Acomb , occurs 1288, 39 died 1293. 40 William Wyles, presented 1293, 41 occurs 1299. 42 Robert of Pontefract ,

    Protestant Nonconformity

    the Foresters' Hall, Acomb , in 1906 . Four years later this was recognized as the Acomb Allowed Meeting. 62 The Primitive Methodist Chapel on Acomb Green was bought by the Friends in 1911 . 63 The Acomb Meeting continued

    Modern York Social life, 1835-1900

    in The Groves and Clementhorpe , but in their own colonies near the railway works, out along the Holgate and Acomb Roads. Thus, for example, in 1851 , Oxford and Cambridge Streets, Rosary Terrace , and Providence Place off the

    Index A - K

    n . Acomb Ch. Sch ., 441. Acomb County Primary Schs . ( Acomb and Knapton Board Sch.), 419, 440. Acomb County Secondary Sch ., 440. Acomb Green , 441. Acomb Hall , see Acomb Maternity Hosp. ' Acomb Hob

    Modern York Economy and the Corporation, 1900-39

    no other large expansion of existing industries took place. The British Sugar Corporation established a plant near the Ouse in Acomb in 1927 , but its labour force was small and subject to seasonal fluctuations. 9 The printing industry increased

    Places of entertainment

    1921 74 and was still in existence in 1959 . Four new cinemas were opened in the 1930's: the Regent, Acomb , in 1934 , 75 the Odeon, Blossom Street , the Regal, Piccadilly , and the Clifton , in

    The parish churches

    part of Acomb north of The Carr . The church, which is a temporary one, consists of a red-brick hall. The patrons are the Crown and the archbishop alternately. A mission chapel in the southern portion of the Acomb parish

    Hospitals York

    green oaks in Acomb and Beningbrough to various persons (who are named, including the Prioress of Monkton ) to such an extent that the park of Beningbrough was all but destroyed, and part of the wood of Acomb was actually

    Schools and colleges

    . The senior department of the Acomb Board School in Front Street was transferred to the new building. There were 470 children enrolled in the school in 1956 . 8 Acomb Voluntary Primary School. Acomb Church School was opened in

    Index L - Z

    428, 430, Hosp. of, 426; Ric., 431, 435-6; Wm., 248-50, 353-4, 469. masons , see building. maternity hosps ., see Acomb , Dispensary, Fulford , maternity hosps. Matilda , of Boulogne , Queen, w. of King Stephen , 26. Matthew

    Transport PRINCIPAL LINES SERVING YORK

    Railway Station , thus avoiding Micklegate, and with a short spur to Holgate Bridge ; and the Haxby Road and Acomb routes were constructed at the same time, involving the strengthening of Lendal Bridge and the reconstruction of the Holgate

Workspace options

Save this search to your workspace

Save checked results (you can make connections from your workspace)

Save and connect checked results to an existing connection

Don't have an account?

Register now to set up your own personal workspace

Bookmarking options

Download options

Click the checkbox next to each item

Donations

As a not-for-profit service, we welcome donations from our users.