skip to the main content area of this page

Search results

You searched for: Place: "Abberton" "Abberton", Resource: Victoria County History

Showing 1 resource containing 21 matches.

  • * Victoria County History *

    21 results from this resource, ordered by relevance. Displaying 1 to 20 View more View all

    Parishes Abberton

    Parishes AbbertonABBERTON Eadbrihtinctune (x cent.); Edbritone, Edbretintune (xi cent.); Edbrighton, Edburinton, Eadbriston (xiii cent.); Aburton (xvi cent.). Old Chimney Stack, Abberton Hall Abberton lies to the south of the main road from Worcester to Alcester , a branch from

    Parishes Flyford Flavell

    his wife. 53 From them it had passed before 1849 to Mr. William Laslett of Abberton , 54 and it followed the descent of Abberton (q.v.) until 1905, when it was sold by Mrs. Baker Carr to Mr. Thomas Richard

    Chapple Church

    & Sons. 50 In the chancel paving is a memorial to Gamaliel Lagden (d. 1736), rector of East Mersea and Abberton , who served Chappel in the 1720s , and his wife Mary (d. 1736); it was found under the

    Houses of Austin canons Abbey of Chich or St Osyth 's

    Essex and Petham in Kent and chapels at Brentwood and Moulsham , and also the advowson of the rectory at Abberton and a moiety of the rectory of Tolleshunt Knights . The advowson of the church of Elmstead was acquired

    Easthorpe Church

    1663 by Miles Gray , which sur- vived in 1909 and was an exact duplicate of the single bell at Abberton . 15 The plate included a small Elizabethan silver chalice and cover; a pewter flagon was recorded in 1685

    East Donyland Church

    East Donyland. 26 The benefice was united with Fing- ringhoe in 1986 , and the united benefice with that of Abberton with Langenhoe in 1990 . 27 The medieval church of ST. LAURENCE , 28 demolished c . 1840, stood

    Houses of Benedictine monks Abbey of Pershore

    Cowley in Gloucestershire , the manor of Pershore with the berewicks or hamlets of Chevington , Abberton [Edbritone ] , Wadborough , Broughton , Abberton [Edbretintune ] , Wick and Cumberton containing 26 hides. The monks had a salt pan

    Birch Churches

    Great Birch church because Little Birch church was ruinous. 23 Robert Mitchell , rector from 1630, obtained the sequestration of Abberton and lived there. In 1646 he was was accused of neg- lecting Little Birch and the living was seques-

    Houses of Austin canons Priory of St Botolph , Colchester

    the abbot or his successors a rent of £10, leviable on their manors of Layer de la Hay, Peldon and Abberton . In the middle of the fourteenth century a serious riot took place between the priory and St. John

    The hundred of Pershore Introduction

    The hundred of Pershore contains the following parishes 1 ABBERTON ELEDERSFIELD PRESHORE, HOLY CROSS ALDERMINSTER FLYFORD FLAVELL WITH WADBROUGH AND BEOLEY GRAFTON FLAYFORD WALCOT CUM MEMERIS BESFORD HANLEY CASTLE PERSHORE, ST. ANDREW BIELILNGHAM LEIGH WITH BRANSFORD WITH BRICKLEHAMTON, BIRTSMORTON LONGDON

    Parishes West Wycombe

    patron between 1660 and 1723 . 107 At this latter date Sir Francis Dashwood , bart., exchanged the living of Abberton , Essex , for that of West Wycombe . 108 The living has since followed the descent of West

    Parishes Grafton Flyford

    Parliament. 52 In June 1545 the manor was granted in fee to John Hall of Ripple and Henry Sheldon of Abberton , 53 Hall acting apparently as a trustee, for Henry Sheldon died seised of it in 1558 , and

    Tudor and Stuart Colchester Religious life

    his hogs, while in 1582 a woman who denied witchcraft admitted she had learnt a counter-spell from Goodwife George of Abberton . Specialist magical assistance was available in the town: in 1590 a couple from Lawford made a magic ointment

    Wivenhoe Charities for the poor

    in supporting the resto- ration of Henry VI . 87 The earthquake of 1884, the epicentre of which was near Abberton south-east of Wiven- hoe, caused damage in Wivenhoe to St. Mary 's church, the Congregational church, the gas- works,

    Medieval Colchester Townspeople Origins of Freemen, 1327-1499

    and John. 31 Adam, known as Adam Warin, was bailiff 1358-9 and granted land in Michaelstow , Ramsey , and Abberton to St. Osyth's abbey in 1380 . At his death in 1381 he held extensive lands in Colchester and

    Outlying parts of the Liberty Greenstead Greenstead c . 1838 Greenstead church c . 1824

    town because his family suffered ague and fevers at Greenstead . Benjamin Owen , resident rector 1730-54 and vicar of Abberton , performed one service on Sundays and administered communion three times a year in each parish. 45 Samuel Forster

    Parishes Pershore , Holy Cross

    Strensham , Pirton , Severn Stoke , Naunton Beauchamp , Great and Little Comberton , Peopleton , North Piddle , Abberton , Flyford Flavell , Broughton Hackett , Martin Hussingtree and Upton Snodsbury had to be buried at Pershore ,

    Secular canons Cathedral of St. Paul

    , Barling , Runwell , Navestock, Chingford , Barnes , Drayton , Sutton , Luffenhall , 'Edulvesnesa,' Norton , and Abberton in Essex . Of these all but the last four are identical in name with the places in which

    INDEX A-J

    Ric., Richard; Rob., Robert; Rog., Roger; s., son; Sam., Samuel; Thos., Thomas; Tim., Timothy; w., wife; Walt., Walter; Wm., William. Abberton , Abbott , Jos., Abdy , Sir Wm ., Abell , Alice, see Lynne Anne, w. of John, John

    Index A-J

    numbers in bold type indicate a chapter devoted to the subject or place. A , Herman van, Abberton , Abbey field , Abbeygate Street , Abbeygate works , Abbot , John, Abell , Francis, Abraham , John, Adam of the

Workspace options

Save this search to your workspace

Save checked results (you can make connections from your workspace)

Save and connect checked results to an existing connection

Don't have an account?

Register now to set up your own personal workspace

Bookmarking options

Download options

Click the checkbox next to each item

Donations

As a not-for-profit service, we welcome donations from our users.