skip to the main content area of this page

Search results

You searched for: Place: Wanstead, Resource: Victoria County History

Showing 1 resource containing 83 matches.

  • * Victoria County History *

    83 results from this resource, ordered by relevance. Displaying 1 to 20 View more View all

    Wanstead Local government

    Wanstead Local government LOCAL GOVERNMENT. Court rolls survive for the manor of Wanstead from 1523 to 1856 , with considerable gaps in the 16th and 17th centuries. 1 Courts leet and baron were being held up to 1643, after which

    Wanstead Education and charities

    Wanstead Education and charities EDUCATION. A school board was formed for Wanstead in 1880 , after complaints from Leyton that Wanstead children were crowding Harrow Green school . 1 At that time Wanstead 's only public elementary school was the

    Wanstead Introduction

    19th century Wanstead retained much woodland, part of Epping Forest , small patches of which still survive at Bushwood and Snaresbrook . Wanstead Flats form a wide expanse of ancient heath. North of them are Wanstead Park and Wanstead golf

    Wanstead Economic history

    of which was Wanstead Heath , stretching across to the pale of Wanstead Park . The heath, also called the lower forest and later Wanstead Flats , extended into se veral parishes but was mainly in Wanstead . It is

    North Weald Bassett Nonconformity

    1875. E.C.U. Reps . 1867-75 . Address by Mr. A. W. Leach , Wanstead , 19 Dec. 1919 . (Reported in Mins. of Local Preachers' Mtgs. Wanstead and Woodford Circuit , 1879-1930 .) Mins. of Circuit Quarterly Mtgs. 1887-99 .

    Wanstead Religious history

    Wanstead Wesleyan Ch. Bdg. Committee Mins. 1896 sqq.; Wanstead and Woodford Circuit Schedules and Trust Deeds. Hall's Circuits and Ministers , 316. Presumably Wanstead had been in the Clapton circuit 1876-9 . Meth. Free Ch. Mag . 1865; Eastment,

    High Laver Nonconformity

    . Ibid. 1882-3 . Address by A. W. Leach , J. P. , at Wanstead , Dec. 1919 , reported in Mins.of Local Preachers' Mtg. Wanstead and Woodford Circuit . For Pope see Loughton Nonconformity. Ibid.; Kelly 's Dir. Essex

    Wanstead Manors

    sold the rest of the park in 1920 to Wanstead Sports Ground Ltd., but still held some land in Wanstead in the 1930s . 83 Wanstead House , originally called Wanstead Hall , lay about 300 yd. south-east of St.

    Parishes Southwick

    (Rec. Com.), 242. Adam de Wanstead held half a carucate of land in 1254 (Feet of F. Hants , Hil. 39 Hen. III). Henry de Wanstead was holding a little later, and William de Wanstead owned land there in 1362

    Loughton Protestant nonconformity

    Files. The following account is based on an address by A. W. Leach at Wanstead , Dec. 1919 (reported in Mins. of Local Preachers Mtg., Wanstead and Woodford Circuit ), Trust Deeds and other church records. Cf. also Methodism in

    Metropolitan Essex since 1919 The Second World War and after

    summer of 1944 as many people were evacuated from Dagenham as at the beginning of the war, 4 and from Wanstead and Woodford the 1944 evacuation was the larger of the two. 5 The attacks also inflicted a good deal

    Leyton Parliamentary representation

    Independent 21 Dec. 1918 ; Who's Who , 1927; E.R . xxviii. 3, 80; and Kelly 's Dir. Leytonstone , Wanstead and Snaresbrook ( 1925 ), p. A20. Illustrated London News , 30 Jan. 1965 , p. 31; Guardian ,

    Woodford Local government

    . 21 The urban district was united with that of Wanstead in 1934 and in 1937 the combined urban district was incorporated as a municipal borough. 22 In 1965 Wanstead and Woodford was amalgamated with Ilford and parts of Chigwell

    Metropolitan Essex since 1919 Social conditions

    per cent., Leyton 5.61 per cent., Woodford 3.03 per cent., Ilford 1.69 per cent., Chingford 1.12 per ce nt., and Wanstead 0.83 per cent. 4 The strangest feature revealed by these figures was that overcrowding, though not common there, was

    The hundred of Becontree Introduction THE HUNDRED OF BECONTREE

    Walthamstow parish. One of the estates in Leyton later became Cann Hall in the neighbouring parish of Wanstead , forming the anomalous ' Wanstead slip'. Dagenham , which certainly existed in 1086 , and which became a separate parish, is

    Social conditions and activity

    other striking ways. In Wanstead 44.3 per cent. of the dwellings had seven or more rooms, in West Ham only 5.9 per cent.; in West Ham 41.4 per cent. had not more than three rooms, in Wanstead only 5.6 per

    Woodford Introduction

    . In 1934 the urban district was amalgamated with that of Wanstead , to the south, and in 1937 the borough of Wanstead and Woodford was formed. In 1965 Wanstead and Woodford , together with Ilford , became the London

    Little Ilford

    Wanstead , and other persons concerned to preserve the forest, was unsuccessful, and between 1852 and 1869 many other inclosures were made on Wanstead Flats . 170 These were all in Wanstead manor, but in 1871 the owners of

    Metropolitan Essex since 1919 Suburban growth

    in the case of Wanstead and Woodford , which were united in 1934 and incorporated as a municipal borough in 1937 . There were several boundary changes during this period, but, except for the union of Wanstead and Woodford ,

    Editorial note

    Gas Boards , the Eastern Electricity Board, and the London Co-operative Society also supplied much information. The records of the Wanstead and Woodford Methodist Circuit were examined by permission of the Revd. J. R. S. Hutchinson . Information from the

Workspace options

Save this search to your workspace

Save checked results (you can make connections from your workspace)

Save and connect checked results to an existing connection

Don't have an account?

Register now to set up your own personal workspace

Bookmarking options

Download options

Click the checkbox next to each item

Donations

As a not-for-profit service, we welcome donations from our users.