skip to the main content area of this page

Search results

You searched for: Place: Stonehill, Source type: Secondary sources

Showing 1 resource containing 19 matches.

  • * Victoria County History *

    19 results from this resource, ordered by relevance. Displaying 1 to 19 View more View all

    Parishes Charlton

    when the purlieus were inclosed. Stonehill , later Cockroost, Farm is an apparently 18th-century house which with a group of cottages east of it on the north side of the Cricklade-Malmesbury road made up Stonehill hamlet in 1773 and 1988

    Chippenham Economic history Chippenham c. 1544 (excluding Badlingham)

    were seven medieval open fields: Sound and Stonehill fields were first recorded c . 1144-6 , and the others were named by the late 12th century and the early 13th. 21 Pudmanhill and Stonehill fields lay alongside farmland of Badlingham

    Parishes Snitterfield [ Plan of Snitterfield church ]

    were at that time a number of common fields, including Hither, Middle, and Further Brook Fields (west of Luscombe ), Stonehill , Whornhill, Merce Field, Black Hill (on the borders of Hampton Lucy ), and Pale Lane Field, adjoining the

    Rodmarton Economic history

    were Lord Ducie , who was allotted 247 a. in Culkerton , Richard Kilmister , who received 78 a. in Stonehill and Culkerton , Elizabeth George , and three small freeholders. The rector was allotted c . 547 a. for

    Parishese Broadway

    borough are not known. The crosses called the White Cross 39 and Newmans Cross 40 may have been boundary crosses. Stonehill , near which stood the chapel of St. James , which existed in the 14th century, was within the

    Parishes Sutton Courtenay

    held by the district council, representing the proceeds of the sale in 1906 of an allotment of 2 acres near Stonehill Farm, under the Sutton Courtenay Act; in respect of this the sum of £1 is carried to the district

    Parishes Brampton Hastings . Or a sleeve gules . Grey of Ruthin . Barry argent and azure with three roundels gules in the chief . Bernard. Argent a bear rampant sable muzzled or .

    field of Houghtone. Houtoneslinche is no doubt a bank adjoining the Ellington Brook near the road, a little west of Stonehill Grove , and the field of Houghton was on the west of the Great North Road extending southward to

    Parishes Swallowcliffe

    Barber's Farm, was built south of the village at the junction of Choulden Lane and the SalisburyShaftesbury road. The third, Stonehill Buildings, south of the Salisbury-Shaftesbury road south-east of the village, 41 was called Red House Farm after a new

    Parishes Castle Camps Castle Camps in the late 16th century

    a. lay in the large western field, called by 1723 Camps Rows, and c . 15 a. in the adjacent Stonehill and Westoe Garden. The other 85 a. lay as before mostly around Langley wood. 234 In 1858 an order

    Parishes Whittlesford Whittlesford before inclosure, c. 1810

    for copyhold. 184 From the 13th century the arable lay in three main fields, 185 Bridge field in the south-east, Stonehill field in the south-west, and Holmes field, called in the 18th century Bar field, 186 in the north-west. In

    Parishes Street

    on Ivythorn hill and at Marshall's Elm in the later 18th century 394 and quarries had opened by 1822 at Stonehill in strips in a former furlong. 395 At least one limekiln was in operation. 396 By 1840 there were

    Parishes Shirburn SHIRBURN CASTLE and VILLAGE in 1736

    above the town and one below, were cropped as one field. The other two fields were called at this date Stonehill Field and Hungerbrook Field, and these names persisted into the 18th century. 216 A terrier of 1716 refers also

    Parishes Brokenborough

    some by Malmesbury abbey for its whole estate. Cattle were driven from Brokenborough to be turned into the purlieus at Stonehill in Charlton . They were not restricted to any part of the forest or purlieus and were not stinted.

    Parishes Hankerton

    road and the triangle to the south, formed by that road, Shire ditch, and a line from Charlham oak to Stonehill wood in Charlton , became Charlton land. 12 Only minor changes were later made to Hankerton parish boundaries. Those

    Collingbourne Kingston COLLINGBOURNE KINGSTON 1843

    in open fields. In the 18th century there were four open fields, called Slough , Har ley, Coombe , and Stonehill . 80 All that land was shared by Collingbourne Valence (later Brunton ), Dormer, and Collingbourne Kingston manors and

    Parishes Great and Little Bourton

    north to south. Various parts of the ridge were known by different names: Catbrainhill and Blakemorehill towards the north, and Stonehill , Hawkhill , and Lousehill further south. 5 Other similar names were Cockmorehill, Beanhill , and Fullowhill. 6 The

    Index A-Z

    45-7, 49; and see Stonehill Perry Green, 37, 40, 46 place name, 1, 37-8, 41, 44 poor relief, 37, 48 pop., 38 prot. nonconf., 50 roads, 38, 90 Rom. Catholicism, 50 schs., 38, 50 slaughterhouse, 40 Stonehill , q.v .

    Royal forests

    outside the 1300 bounds. At the Dissolution Malmesbury Abbey held many woods in Braydon Forest, including Charlton and Braydon Woods, Stonehill 248 and Angrove Woods, 249 and Swatnage Coppice ; 250 they were all granted in 1547 to the Duke

    Parishes Martock The Church of All Saints , Martock

    and standing near the manorhouse, was pulled down c . 1541 and sold. By 1595 a building called Stoneheald, later Stonehill or Stoneley, House had been erected there, 156 its name suggesting the possible re-use of materials from the demolished

Workspace options

Save this search to your workspace

Save checked results (you can make connections from your workspace)

Save and connect checked results to an existing connection

Don't have an account?

Register now to set up your own personal workspace

Bookmarking options

Download options

Click the checkbox next to each item

Donations

As a not-for-profit service, we welcome donations from our users.