skip to the main content area of this page

Search results

You searched for: Place: Stocking, Resource: Victoria County History

Showing 1 resource containing 56 matches.

  • * Victoria County History *

    56 results from this resource, ordered by relevance. Displaying 1 to 20 View more View all

    Parishes Lathbury

    Robert de Tothall and Mabel de Stocking (Passelewe). 159 Usburn obtained a licence to impark his wood at Stocking within Salcey Forest in 1257 , 160 and evidently married Margery daughter of John de Stocking (Jo hn Passelewe). She was

    Childerley Introduction Childerley in the mid 18th century

    manor between 1300 and 1500 . 67 Little Childerley manorial wood, beside which assarts had created crofts, one called the Stocking , was recorded in 1393 . 68 The Childerley estate included 15 a. of wood in 1817 , 23

    Houses of Cistercian monks Byland

    confirmed all his gifts to Byland before the Archbishop and chapter of York . The monks remained thirty years at Stocking , and while there cleared the woods and drained the swamps, and no doubt began the abbey church on

    Parishes Haversham

    the 13th century, 6 Kytlecrofte, Kachewyn, Shurlok in the 15th century, 7 Great and Little Co ale Stocking , Woad Stocking , Ffoulkes Stocking , Foddering Yard and Dry Closes , in the 18th century. 8 An Inclosure Act for

    Parishes Little Gransden

    the windmill. The inclosure commissioners chose that route for their principal northward road. From Gamlingay the Cambridge way curved across Stocking field to touch the southern end of the village and run east across the common to Longstowe , at

    Parishes Tattenhoe

    4 The following field-names are found in the 16th century: Adams land, Ladymead, Corner Close , Prior's Stocking , also called Snelshall Stocking , and Windmill Hill . MANOR There is no mention of TATTENHOE in the Survey of 1086;

    Parishes Bredicot

    3 Among the place-names occur Goding's Mere 4 (x cent.), Spert Meadow 5 (xv and xvii cent.), Upper Stocking , Nether Stocking , Wyorsland Close, New Tyning , the Hill Ways and Kimbersley Coppice 6 (xvii cent.). Prattinton, writing in

    Parishes Sundon

    rents of two parcels of land lying contiguous to each other at the north end of a close called the Stocking Close, containing respectively 11/2 acres and 1 acre, which apparently became merged in the adjoining property, and nothing has


    , and 153 a. in Town End fields, and 551 a. in East moor, 38 a. in Stocking , 3 a . in Stocking green, 25 a. in West moor, and 48 a. in Whinberry Hills. The largest allotment, partly

    Madingley Economic history

    20 was divided by the 1230s 21 into three fields. 22 Early assarting was perhaps reflected in the name of Stocking closes in Wood field mentioned in 1609 and 1627. 23 The northern field, after 1600 called Bernard ditch field,

    Parishes Clapham

    in 1901 was 788. There is a Wesleyan chapel, built in 1876 . Place-names that occur in this parish are:-Bartilmewe Stocking , Thurnemede, Smithforthe Hadeland, Peneybarecoles, Scalling Carrell, Peekes Close, Fordes Close, Foure Pounde Pasture and Pulleyes Grave. 6 MANORS

    Parishes Benington

    Brookfield Common , Lamsden Common, and Leatherfield Common lie in the south of the parish, with Small Hopes Wood and Stocking Spring to the north of the last. Moon Leys Spring is on the south-eastern border. Slipes Farm is situated

    Parishes Hardmead

    garden plot with fruit trees. There were besides about 15 acres of land attached, ten forming a portion called Parsonage Stocking , and two being in the ' Mill Field .' 6 In the 18th century the parish was said

    Parishes Whaddon with Nash

    Oxleys and from there unto Shenley hachegate, from thence along by the same ancient dike under Goldenhill and Stocking and the Prior's Stocking and from thence forth unto the long lane end of Tattenhoe and so by the same dike

    Parishes Ravensden

    de Ravensden , clerk, upon the prior. The gift comprised 6 selions abutting on Wood Croft , a croft called Stocking , a close called Inwode, and 3 acres of land below Benham. 7 The estate was increased by many

    Parishes St Martin

    place-names occur in local records: Goldbourn, 3 AEglardes Marsh 4 (? xi cent.); Red Hill , 5 Losemere, 6 Scomeleswey, Stocking , 7 Endel' 8 (xiii cent.); Incentis Lane, Pirie Brook, 9 Le Oeure 10 (xiv cent.); Twenty Lands, Plackmedowe,

    Parishes Stoke Goldington

    GOLDINGTON Stoches (xi cent.); Stokes, Stocking , Stok Goldington (xiii cent.). Stoke Goldington has an area of 2,352 acres, of which about 190 acres are woodland and the remainder equally divided between grass and arable land. 1 The land rises

    Parishes Pickworth Gyney. Paly or and gules a chief ermine . Hussey. Or a cross vert .

    Abbots Stocking in Pickworth and land called Withawe Pitts, which had been leased in 1524 under the conventual seal to Sir John Hussey for 50 years. 51 This land, which afterwards became known as the manor of PICKWORTH STOCKING ,

    Parishes Weston Favell Favell. Or a bend gules and a border sable bezanty . Griffin . Sable a griffin argent with beak and forelegs or . Tyringham . Azure a saltire engrailed argent .

    of the parish is a field formerly known as Spelhoe, from which the hundred took its name, but now called Stocking . John Cole , bookseller and antiquary, was born at Weston Favell in 1792 , and, after living at


    where they stood, of Rusho Park with the house or lodge there, of other closes, including Rusho Stocking , Whitley Close, the Stocking , the Hall Yard or Garth and house built in the same, parcel whereof was held of

Workspace options

Save this search to your workspace

Save checked results (you can make connections from your workspace)

Save and connect checked results to an existing connection

Don't have an account?

Register now to set up your own personal workspace

Bookmarking options

Download options

Click the checkbox next to each item


As a not-for-profit service, we welcome donations from our users.