skip to the main content area of this page

Search results

You searched for: Place: Sevenhampton, Resource: Victoria County History

Showing 1 resource containing 36 matches.

  • * Victoria County History *

    36 results from this resource, ordered by relevance. Displaying 1 to 20 View more View all

    Parishes Sevenhampton

    Parishes SevenhamptonSEVENHAMPTONSevenhampton is a rural parish high on the Cotswolds 9 km. east of Cheltenham . The ancient parish contained 3,377 a. 1 (1,367 ha.) mostly in a long and relatively thin band of land extending eastwards from

    Bradley hundred Fig. 1. BRADLEY HUNDRED 1845

    the end of the Middle Ages. The lord of Sevenhampton , the bishop of Hereford , claimed to hold his own view in 1287 and one was held later at either Sevenhampton or Prestbury . After the establishment of Northleach

    List of maps and figures

    c . 1750; information taken from original maps in Glos. R.O., D 269c/ P 2; D 363/P 4 156 13. Sevenhampton and Whittington , 1998 168 14. Brockhampton Park , c . 1840. Lithograph by G. Rowe (copy in Glos.

    Parishes Prestbury Prestbury village, 1838

    of meadow in the fields. 221 Puckham Wood, in Sevenhampton and Prestbury , comprised 214 a., divided in the 16th century into 13 coppices. 222 In 1575 the tenants of Sevenhampton denied the right of the tenants of Prestbury to

    Parishes Whittington

    the pupils came principally from Whittington , Dowdeswell, and Sevenhampton and most were educated free of charge. A few were from outlying parts of other nearby parishes. On Sundays the Sevenhampton children attended a school held in their own parish

    Collegiate churches Arundel

    with France should last, 4 a payment which was annulled in 1383 , when the earl gave the manor of Sevenhampton in Somerset to the king. 5 The property which had belonged to the priory included the advowsons of the

    Editorial note

    C. Frith of Gloucester , E. Hulton of Turkdean , T. R. Handy of Lower Hampen , T. Jackson of Sevenhampton , Mrs. D. Mellor of Withington , members of the Mustoe family of Turkdean , Mr. J. W. Stevens

    Lists of documents used

    -Rogers families of Dowdeswell D 269c Browne family of Salperton D 398 Northleach borough records D 444 Lawrence family of Sevenhampton and Whittington D 621 Chamberlayne family of Maugersbury D 627 Rogers and Coxwell -Rogers families of Dowdeswell D 678

    Houses of Benedictine monks The abbey of Athelney

    the manor of Sevenhampton (Seavington) to Athelney , and belongs to the period 1020-5 . An abstract of the Domesday Survey is entered in the cartulary, describing the possessions as in Long Sutton , Ilton , Sevenhampton , Hamp ,

    Parishes Newtown

    at Burghclere , the Newtown accountant 25 of 1362 paid £8 2 s . 10 d . to Sir Walter Sevenhampton at Wolvesey, and the arrears were wholly due to the long vacant tenement of Thomas atte Brome . By

    House of Bonhommes Edington

    afterwards the chantry had possessions in Cutteridge, in North Bradley , and Tinhead also. 18 A second warden, Walter de Sevenhampton , succeeded Scarlet in March 1357 , 19 but his tenure of office was destined to be short, for

    Index A - Z

    167, 179-81 inclosure, 167, 171, 174, 177, 179-81, 184 Lower Sevenhampton (formerly Clopley or Clopton ), 170, 178, 180-3 Manor farm, 170, 173, 181-2 manor house, see Sevenhampton , Sevenhampton Manor manors, 6, 173-80, 182-5, 237 mills, 179, 182 Nash

    Agriculture 1500-1793

    Bromham , Bremhill , Rowden , Stanley 1612, Stanley ct. baron invs.; Acc. 34 surv. Broughton Gifford ; Acc. 40 Sevenhampton ct. bk. 1541-1723 ; Acc. 212b (Sd./1 a ); W.A.S. Libr. Devizes , Wilts . MSS., vol. C surv.

    Parishes Salperton

    and the early 1730s , were successive vicars of Turkdean . 305 Between 1768 and 1808 Salperton was served with Sevenhampton by John Lawrence (also rector of Hawling from 1772). 306 R. J. Dawes , perpetual curate of Salperton 1837-40

    Parishes Shipton Oliffe and Shipton Solers

    land ( c . 12 ha.) on the north side of a disused railway line at Hampen was transferred to Sevenhampton . 22 The following account includes the land transferred to Shipton from Compton Abdale in 1883 . Railway and

    Colleges Fotheringhay

    college, assigning to it the manors of 'Fasterne,' Old Wootton , Tockenham , Chelworth , Winterbourne , Compton-Bassett , and Sevenhampton , the advowson of the church of Tockenham , the town of ' Wotton Burgus,' and the hundreds of

    Parishes Seavington St. Mary

    Crown between 1539 and 1600 when it was granted, under the name of the manor or manors of HURCOTT and SEVENHAMPTON ABBOT , to William and Robert Offley . 60 Robert Offley , a London haberdasher, sold the property in

    Winchester Fairs and trades

    d ., there was a debt of £8 4 s . in arrear, even after the treasurer, Master Walter of Sevenhampton , had advanced £8 7 s . 31/2 d . from his reserves at Wolvesey. In 1388-9 actual receipts

    Swindon Manors and other estates

    century the rent of £4 by which the land was held became attached to the Countess of Aumale's manor of Sevenhampton , but after the disgrace of Adam de Stratton in 1289 it was restored to the abbess. 35 It

    Parishes Yeovilton Yeovilton , 1838

    held it in 1721 , 55 but it seems to have come into the possession of Sir William Dodwell of Sevenhampton (Glos.) (d. 1727), whose trustees sold it in 1762 to Thomas Lockyer of Ilchester . 56 On Lockyer's death

Workspace options

Save this search to your workspace

Save checked results (you can make connections from your workspace)

Save and connect checked results to an existing connection

Don't have an account?

Register now to set up your own personal workspace

Bookmarking options

Download options

Click the checkbox next to each item

Donations

As a not-for-profit service, we welcome donations from our users.