skip to the main content area of this page

Search results

You searched for: Place: Pitcombe, Source type: Secondary sources

Showing 1 resource containing 18 matches.

  • * Victoria County History *

    18 results from this resource, ordered by relevance. Displaying 1 to 18 View more View all

    Pitcombe Pitcombe in 1885

    PitcombePITCOMBE The ancient parish of Pitcombe , originally part of the minster parish of Bruton , occupied a crescent-shaped area to the south and south-west of Bruton . 93 It included the scattered village of Pitcombe in a valley

    Bruton Hundred Bruton hundred c . 1840

    later Catsash hundred. 2 By 1212 the hundred comprised the Tancarville fee of Bruton , Honeywick (in Pitcombe ), Milton ( Clevedon ), Pitcombe with Cole , Redlynch , Witham , and Yarlington . 3 In 1225 Discove , Woolston

    List of illustrations

    Watercolour by W. W. Wheatley (S.A.S.) 30. Re dlynch chapel, 1916. Photograph (S.A.S.) 31. Pitcombe , Godminster Manor , 1968. Photograph (S.C.C. negative 16206) 32. Pitcombe , Hadspen House , 1996 . 33. Milborne Port , Ven House servants, c

    Bruton Bruton in 1885 Redlynch Park 1762

    the hundred of the same name, has interlocking boundaries with Pitcombe and Shepton Montague to the west and south 92 and dependent chapelries of Brewham to the east and Pitcombe to the west 93 indicating its probable origin as a

    List of maps and other plans

    1885 edn.); LXV . NW. ( 1885 edn.); NE. ( 1885 edn.) 20 Redlynch Park 27 Milton Clevedon 1841 43 Pitcombe in 1885 . From O.S. Map 6", Som. LXV . NW. ( 1885 edn.); NW. ( 1885 edn.); SW.

    Shepton Montague Shepton Montague in 1840

    parish boundary towards Hadspen in Pitcombe . 63 There is some doubt when it was taken over by the Bruton trust, but certainly before 1831 when the improved route from Castle Cary to Bruton avoiding Pitcombe was adopted, which included

    Introduction

    mansions in the area. Slightly smaller houses surrounded by smaller parks at Inwood in Henstridge , Horsington , Hadspen in Pitcombe , and Yarlington either developed from medieval manor houses or were created ab initio . The ownership of Bruton

    Bratton Seymour Bratton Seymour in 1840

    the earlier course to the foot of Cattle Hill by 1831 , but a new route over Cattle Hill through Pitcombe to Bruton was made c . 1830. Both Bruton roads were given up by the trust in 1867 .

    Index A-J

    founder, Wm., clock maker, Coker; Michaela, w. of Rob, see Plecy Rob., Colcutt , T. E., architect, Cole , in Pitcombe , tithing, Coles , Revd. Vincent , Columbers , Phil., and his w. Eleanor, Combe ( Coombe ) :

    Milton Clevedon Milton Clevedon in 1841

    Digby , vicar 1773-1811 , left the care of the parish to curates, notably to Richard Goldsborough , incumbent of Pitcombe . 53 The resident curate provided two Sunday services in 1827 54 and in 1843 communion was celebrated four

    Yarlington Yarlington in 1838

    right to stand outside the park pale to watch deer killed. 81 The park bank survives on the boundary with Pitcombe . There were two open arable fields; the west field extended from Lodge Hill to the lands of Woolston

    Abbas and Temple Combe Abbas and Temple Combe in 1838 Abbas and Temple Combe

    South Western Railway . 10 In January 1862 the Dorset Central railway opened a line beginning near Cole , in Pitcombe , to a terminus known as the Lower station. That line was worked from Highbridge by the Somerset Central

    Houses of Augustinian canons The priory of Bruton

    benefaction, and the impropriation 115 to the house of the tithes of Bruton , and of its dependent churches at Pitcombe , Redlynch , Wyke , Witham , and Brewham. He also gave the rectories of Westbury , Priddy ,

    Index K-Z

    of, see Parr , Wm. Northover , Northumberland , earl of, see Mowbray Norton , David Evans , vicar of Pitcombe , Norton Ferris ( Norton on Selwood , Norton Ferrers , Norton Stourton ), in Kilmington : man., tithing,

    Introduction to the Somerset Domesday Domesday Map

    the Exon Domesday as the tenant of Serlo de Burci at Ridge Hill , of the Bishop of Coutances at Pitcombe , and of Bath Abbey at Charlcombe . Next in order is 'Hugolin' the interpreter, who held three estates,

    Index A - Z

    Cok , Rog. le, 159; and see Tok Coker , Wm of, 158 Colchester ( Essex ), 182 Cole in Pitcombe , 9 Colerne , Rob. de, 147 Coles : Hen., 217 Sam., 217 Coleshill : Jn, m. Eliz. Cheyne

    Text of the Somerset Domesday Part 2

    382b' XXXII . THE LAND OF TURSTIN SON OF ROLF Turstin son of Rolf holds of the king Pidecombe [ Pitcombe ] . Alwold held (it) T.R.E. and paid geld for 5 hides. There is land for 5 ploughs. In

    Index

    m. Wm. FitzWaryn, 51 Eleanor, w. of Sir Hen . de, 51 Sir Hen . de, 51 Hadspen , see Pitcombe Haket : Eve, 75 n Sir Wm ., 74 Hall : Hen., architect, 80 n , 222 Wm., 158

Workspace options

Save this search to your workspace

Save checked results (you can make connections from your workspace)

Save and connect checked results to an existing connection

Don't have an account?

Register now to set up your own personal workspace

Bookmarking options

Download options

Click the checkbox next to each item

Donations

As a not-for-profit service, we welcome donations from our users.