skip to the main content area of this page

Search results

You searched for: Place: Nayland, Resource: Victoria County History, Source type: Secondary sources

Showing 1 resource containing 33 matches.

  • * Victoria County History *

    33 results from this resource, ordered by relevance. Displaying 1 to 20 View more View all

    Great Horkesley Local government

    John de Burgh , lord of Nayland , was granted free warren in Great Horkesley in 1260 , 37 and in 1273 -4 he had right of gallows and held courts leet with the assizes of bread and of ale.

    Great Horkesley Manors and other estates

    Scrope estates in 1517 the manor of Nayland , with its demesne park later called NAYLAND PARK or HORKESLEY PARK , was assigned to Mary Danby whose grandson Sir Thomas Danby sold Nayland manor to Edward Rookwood . 31 He

    Houses of Cluniac monks Priory of Little Horkesley

    court rolls of the manor of Nayland that the prior and convent in 1263 and 1316 proved that they did not hold any tenement for which they owed suit at the court of Nayland . Prior Henry was acquitted in

    Great Horkesley Introduction

    1764 a coach, presumably from Nayland , passed through the parish twice weekly. 86 In 1815 a new post coach ran from Colchester to Bury St. Edmunds via Nayland . Several carriers from Colchester to Nayland worked routes through the

    Little Horkesley Introduction

    Nayland Road , the 19th-century cottages on Holts Road , and the council houses of the 1950s on School Road. In the late 20th century a few larger houses have been built, including a large French style house on

    Boxted Manors and other estates

    it to John, Lord Scrope of Masham (d. 1455). 46 Thereafter Boxted Hall descended first with the Scropes's manor of Nayland until 1517, and then with the manor of Great Horkesley until it was sold in 1712 or 1713 by

    Great Horkesley Economic history

    1086 the demesne farm on the Essex portion of Nayland manor had 2 ploughs and 7 servi , perhaps located in the north of the parish near the river Stour and Nayland 's demesne park. Abutting the park were extensive

    Hospitals St John the Baptist , Wootton Bassett

    Reg. Wyville , ii (Inst.), f. 255. Was Rector of Tockenham . Phillipps, Wilts . Inst . i, 64. Ibid. Said to be of 'Stok Neylond' [? Stoke by Nayland , Suff. ] . Cal. Pat . 1405-8 , 227.

    Little Horkesley Manors

    was demesne tenant of 1½ hides and 30 a. in Nayland (Suff.), which later became the manor of LITTLE HORKESLEY HALL . It was held of the manor of Nayland as part of the honor of Rayleigh . 63 The

    Earls Colne ` Manors and other estates

    at Colne to his daughter Aelfflaed who between 1000 and 1002 devised it to the religious house at Stoke by Nayland (Suff.). About 1040, how- ever, Earls Colne belonged to a widow, Leofgifu, and in 1066 it was held by

    Langham Economic history

    and 1587. 90 Men from Colchester , Boxted , Dedham , Ardleigh , Stratford St. Mary (Suff.), and Stoke by Nayland (Suff.) poached the lord's warren in 1414 and later years. 91 In 1546 English spaniels were used to hunt

    Houses of Cluniac monks Priory of Prittlewell

    Ramsden Bellhouse , Leigh , Stoke Nayland , Shipbourne in Kent , and London . The greater part of the income of the priory, however, came from its spiritualities, the rectory of Stoke Nayland alone being valued at £40. In

    West Bergholt Manors and other estates

    23 She was succeeded by another Thomas Mountgomery who in 1507 -8 sold the manor to John Abell , a Nayland cloth- maker. 24 John Abell (d. 1524) left the manor to his wife Anne for life with successive remainders

    Boxted Introduction Boxted c. 1800 Penns and other houses north-east of Boxted church in 1586

    and unfree tenants recorded in 1066 and 33 in 1086 are incomplete because Rivers Hall manor then formed part of Nayland (Suff.). There were 115 taxpayers in 1377 . 70 Births consistently outnumbered deaths from 1559 until the 1610s ,

    Outlying parts of the Liberty Mile End Mile End c . 1846

    some London clay in the south and east. 68 The main road running northwards through the parish from Colchester to Nayland and Sudbury (Suff.), sometimes called Mile End causeway, was mentioned in 1298 . 69 A branch led west to

    Great Horkesley Churches

    and the tithe £84. 59 The glebe, which between 1610 and 1810 comprised c . 40 a. con centrated between Nayland Road and the church, had increased to over 49 a. by 1817 . 60 By 1835 the rector had

    Langham Manors and other estates Langham Hall , c . 1772

    sold the estate to James Cardinal in 1638 . Cardinal in 1653 sold it to William Umfreville of Stoke by Nayland (Suff.). Umfreville died in 1679 but his second wife Isabel (d. 1711) retained a life interest. The surviving trustee

    Fordham Introduction Fordham 1879 Eight Ash Green c. 1970

    roofs over halls into which floors have been inserted. 59 Plummer's farm belonged to John Abell (d. 1524), clothmaker of Nayland , and a house was recorded there in 1559 . 60 Plummer's farmhouse is mid 16th-century, two-storeyed with close

    Wormingford Introduction Wormingford 1838

    Minor roads connected the parish with Assington (Suff.) across Worming- ford bridge, with Fordham , and with Little Horkesley and Nayland (Suff.). Other minor roads and tracks and a network of footpaths link the scattered farms and houses. In 1769,

    INDEX K-Z

    Campsea Ash ; Chattisham ; Clare ; Eye; Flatford; Haverhill ; Ipswich ; Lavenham ; Nacton ; Nayland ; Polstead ; Stoke by Nayland ; Stowmarket ; Stratford St. Mary ; Sudbury ; Thorpe Morieux ; Wissington ; Wiston ;

Workspace options

Save this search to your workspace

Save checked results (you can make connections from your workspace)

Save and connect checked results to an existing connection

Don't have an account?

Register now to set up your own personal workspace

Bookmarking options

Download options

Click the checkbox next to each item

Donations

As a not-for-profit service, we welcome donations from our users.