skip to the main content area of this page

Search results

You searched for: Place: Lewknor, Date from: 1800-01-01, Date to: 1900-12-31, Resource: Victoria County History

Showing 1 resource containing 114 matches.

  • * Victoria County History *

    114 results from this resource, ordered by relevance. Displaying 1 to 20 View more View all

    Parishes Lewknor

    Parishes LewknorLEWKNOR The parish lies in the south-west of the hundred which bears its name. Like other parishes that run up into the Chilterns , Lewknor forms a long narrow strip, 2 miles broad at its widest and 5

    The hundred of Lewknor THE HUNDRED OF LEWKNOR

    The hundred of Lewknor THE HUNDRED OF LEWKNOR In the early 19th century Lewknor hundred had an area of 19,780 acres and a population of 5,416. 1 Throughout the greater part of its history its villages have been principally engaged

    South Mimms Manors

    for 20 years. 63 The manor remained in the Lewknor family until 1483, when Sir Thomas Lewknor was attainted and his lands granted to Robert Scrope . 64 In 1484 Lewknor was pardoned 65 and his lands were restored in

    Itchingfield Local government

    inheritance before 1457 the advowson of Itchingfield was assigned to Roger Lewknor . 38 Sir Thomas Lewknor forfeited it on his attainder in 1484 , 39 but Sir Roger Lewknor was patron in 1520 and 1540. 40 He died in

    Parishes Lasham

    latter, who married Sir Roger Lewknor , was assigned the manor of Lasham . Sir Roger Lewknor was seised of Lasham at his death in 1478 , and was followed by his son Thomas Lewknor , 31 who in his

    Rusper Church

    (later the whole manor) to the Lewknor family, 57 Sir Roger Lewknor presenting in 1509 and 1515. Before 1560 it passed to the three daughters and coheirs of the same or another Sir Roger Lewknor , whose husbands or heirs

    Parishes Barcombe PARISH CHURCH of ST. MARY BARCOMBE

    Roger Lewknor , in whose family the whole manor descended. At this date the manor was still known as Barcombe , but later it acquired the name Camoys Court . From Roger it passed to his son Sir Thomas Lewknor

    Trotton Parish Church of St George Trotton Milland Chapel

    Ralph Radmyld and Eleanor wife of Roger Lewknor . 47 Roger Camoys, his uncle, 48 is returned as holding the manor in 1428 , 49 but in 1433 he released it to Roger Lewknor and Eleanor. 50 Eventually the manor

    Parishes Hadzor

    37 and his son John sold the manor in 1579 to Nicholas Lewknor of Haseley , co. Oxford . 38 By his will dated 1 June 1580 Nicholas Lewknor left one-third of Hadzor , consisting of the site of the

    Old and New Shoreham Manors and other estates

    formerly held. 76 Richard Lewknor held Buckinghams, in Shoreham and Kingston , from Battle abbey and died in 1506 leaving a widow Catherine and nephew Francis Lewknor as heir. 77 Richard was evidently brother of Edward Lewknor (d. 1522) of


    Dalyngrigge, and Lewknor , 45 until after the death of Constance Glenham , daughter and co-heir of Sir Roger Lewknor , in 1635 . 46 It was then apparently acquired by David Middleton , of Wapsbourne, for Lewknor Middleton owned

    Parishes Kingsey

    Lewknor in 1478 the heritage of his wife Eleanor, including Tythrop Manor in Kingsey , passed to their son Thomas. 155 An Act of attainder and forfeiture against him was reversed in 1485 . 156 His son Sir Roger

    The hundred of Pyrton THE HUNDRED OF PYRTON

    whose chief estate in this part of the Chilterns lay at Lewknor in the neighbouring hundred. It was probably, therefore, at this time that Wormsley was transferred to Lewknor hundred. 8 Otherwise, the composition of the hundred remained unaltered until

    List of maps and plans

    Page The Hundred of Lewknor 1 Aston Rowant and Kingston Blount Fields 30 Chinnor Fields 67 Chinnor Church . From a plan by D. Sturdy and the Oxford University Archaeological Society 76 Crowell Fields 81 Lewknor Church . From a

    The City of Chichester Parliamentary history

    , LL .D., and Richard Lewknor , of the Middle Temple , 10 both of whom continued to represent the city until 1592. Dale was Master of the Court of Requests in 1588 , and Lewknor in the same year


    in 1470 . 39 His heir was Roger Lewknor , son of his sister Philippa, 40 and from him it descended in the Lewknor family, 41 being held by Sir Roger Lewknor in 1538 and at his death in 1543

    Parishes Adwell

    the Ordnance Survey in 1882 . 1 Until the Lewknor inclosure award of 1815 part of Adwell 's land lay scattered in Postcombe Field. 2 By the award the boundary between Lewknor , in which Postcombe township lay, and Adwell

    West Dean Parish Church of St Andrew West Dean

    Lewknor by John Lumley . 9 In 1621 Richard Lewknor , 10 and in 1636 his grandson Richard Lewknor , 11 died in possession of it. It remained in the family until the death (s.p.) in 1706 of John

    Kingston by Sea

    1506 the main part of Kingston Bowsey manor was held by Richard Lewknor when he left a widow Catherine and nephew Francis Lewknor as heir. 55 Edward Lewknor of Kingston Bowsey , evidently Richard's brother, died in 1522 , and

    Parishes Falmer

    century included also the Lewknor portion and was described as half the manor of Bevendean , the other half being the property of Edward Culpeper . 95 The part of the manor held by Roger Lewknor and Eleanor was conveyed

Workspace options

Save this search to your workspace

Save checked results (you can make connections from your workspace)

Save and connect checked results to an existing connection

Don't have an account?

Register now to set up your own personal workspace

Bookmarking options

Download options

Click the checkbox next to each item


As a not-for-profit service, we welcome donations from our users.