skip to the main content area of this page

Search results

You searched for: Place: Haynes, Resource: Victoria County History

Showing 1 resource containing 89 matches.

  • * Victoria County History *

    89 results from this resource, ordered by relevance. Displaying 1 to 20 View more View all

    Parishes Hawnes or Haynes

    Parishes Hawnes or Haynes HAWNES or HAYNES Hagenes (xi cent.); Haunes (xiii cent.); Haine (xiv cent.); Haunce (xv-xvii cents.). Haynes is a small village one mile east of the Bedford and Luton main road, and stands on high ground on

    House of the Gilbertine order The priory of Chicksand

    called 'the chapel of St. Thomas ,' with the grange of Haynes , for £200 a year; besides selling two woods, and granting the fruits of the church of Haynes for seven years. 12 Simon his predecessor had demised to

    Parishes Turweston

    lands in 1650 . 44 Simon Haynes died in April 1628 , 45 and left as executrix of his will his widow Anne, 46 who died about 1647. 47 Her son He nry Haynes in 1650 sued in Chancery a

    House of Benedictine monks The priory of Beaulieu

    de St. Amand a carucate in Wilshampstead for the service of the chapel of St. Machutus in the parish of Haynes (Hawnes). 20 The temporalities of the priory in 1291 were valued at £26 7 s . 10 d .

    Easthorpe Manors and other estates

    The south part of the medieval moat survives. 25 Spicers, amounting to 7 a., belonged in the Middle Ages to Haynes 's chantry of St. Peter's church Colchester ; in 1550 the king sold it to the bailiffs of Colchester

    Flitt hundred Introduction Index Map to the Hundred of Flitt

    (Part of); Clophill ; Flitton Cum Silsoe ; Upper Gravenhurst ; Lower Gravenhurst ; Haynes ; Higham Gobion ; Luton , With East And West Hyde , Stopsley , Limbury Cum Biscott, And Leagrave ; Pulloxhill ; Streatley With Sharpenhoe

    Stanwell OTHER ESTATES.

    Stanwell . 74 After the death of the lessee, Francis Haynes , in 1800 , Eton sold the farm to Thomas Williams , who had taken on the remainder of Haynes 's leas e. 75 Williams acquired two other small

    Parishes Maulden

    stands picturesquely on the south of the main road at the west end of the village opposite the road from Haynes , while at the other end of the village is the White Hart Inn , an old thatched building

    Parishes Higham Gobion

    Reginald Bray . 48 The manor for a short time was held by the Brays , with the manor of Haynes (q.v.). 49 Sir Edmund Bray , the nephew of Sir Reginald , probably alienated the manor to the descendants

    Posenhall

    farms were Roger Moane's (155 a.), Rowland Haynes 's (87 a.), and Richard Childe 's (50 a.). By 1620 Rowland Haynes 's farm and other land had apparently passed to Richard and Thomas Haynes who farmed 79 a. and 49

    Copford Economic history

    a lease from bishop Bonner from whom he already held episcopal land else where. 33 From the 17th century the Haynes , later Harrison family extended its Copford Hall estate. 34 Larger owners usually leased their farms to tenant farmers.

    Copford Church

    the font which had a late 12th-century square bowl and modern base; 86 there were monuments to members of the Haynes and Harrison families, and memorial stones to some rectors and their families. The lychgate was given in memory of

    Bethnal Green Cambridge Heath Cambridge Heath : principal estates

    1843 ) in Gavin, San . Ramblings ( 1848 ). G.L.R.O., MR/FR/ 1789 /J81. Below, Hackney Rd. i.e. Hayes or Haynes factory: M.L.R. 1792/8 /164; 1794/3 /107. Horwood , Plan ( 1792-9 ); G.L.R.O., MR/PLT 5024. M.L.R. 1808/8 /357. T.H.L.H.L,

    Parishes Stantonbury

    of 26 s . 8 d . yearly. 93 The rectory was granted by the Crown to Robert Newdigate of Haynes , Bedfordshire , and others in 1578 , 94 and they immediately sold it to Edmund Lee . 95

    Parishes Streatley with Sharpenhoe

    II; Recov. R. Mich. 15 Chas. II; Mich. 16 Chas. II; Hil. 26 & 27 Chas. II. See also under Haynes for the Lukes. Feet of F. Beds . Mich. 12 Geo. I. Ibid. Mich. 30 Geo. III, Lysons, Mag.

    Frampton on Severn Manors and other estates

    estates held by the families of Haynes , Fream, and Selwyn. Thomas Haynes , mentioned above as one of the lessees of the rectorial tithes, died in 1543 . 88 In 1616 Giles Haynes settled a house and two plough-lands

    Parishes Houghton Conquest

    service at the parish church. The queen meanwhile was the guest of Sir Richard Newdigate in the neighbouring parish of Haynes , where the king afterwards joined her. 3 In the outlying portion of the village known as Chapel End

    Parishes Kempston

    defeat at Bosworth was liberally rewarded for his services by Henry VII . 33 The manor then descended as in Haynes (q.v.) through the Bray family, 34 and was alienated to Thomas Snagge of Marston Moretaine in 1569 by Sir

    Old Woodstock Economic history

    time as 'the usual apology for bad husbandry', 61 but several farmers are known to have failed there. 62 William Haynes , however, was reckoned in the earlier 20th century to have improved Balliol's farm, partly by concentrating on dairying.

    Houses of Austin canons The priory of Newnham

    brother. The others were named William, Philip, Gilbert, Richard and Ralf. The foundation charter of Chicksand promises the church of Haynes 'after the death of Philip de Broi'; the churches of Southill , Salford and Aspley certainly belonged to the

Workspace options

Save this search to your workspace

Save checked results (you can make connections from your workspace)

Save and connect checked results to an existing connection

Don't have an account?

Register now to set up your own personal workspace

Bookmarking options

Download options

Click the checkbox next to each item

Donations

As a not-for-profit service, we welcome donations from our users.