skip to the main content area of this page

Search results

You searched for: Place: Cottenham, Resource: Victoria County History

Showing 1 resource containing 76 matches.

  • * Victoria County History *

    76 results from this resource, ordered by relevance. Displaying 1 to 20 View more View all

    Cottenham Charities for the poor

    Cottenham Charities for the poor CHARITIES FOR THE POOR John Moreton , by deed of 1671, gave half the rental of houses in Holborn ( Lond. , formerly Mdx.) for poor relief and for apprenticing in Cottenham . 27 In

    Cottenham Nonconformity

    Cottenham Nonconformity NONCONFORMITY Although nonconformist preachers found ready listeners in Cottenham in the late 17th century, separate congregations were slower to form than in neighbouring villages and it was only in the 19th century that Cottenham became a prominent centre

    Rampton Nonconformity

    used for prayer meetings, with occasional services and sermons. 25 By 1877 Baptists were using a cottage room, served from Cottenham . 26 After it burned down in 1883 summer open-air services were held on the green. In 1902 a

    Rampton Education

    sent to schools in Cottenham and Willingham in 1923 and the school closed in 1963 with 20 pupils. 39 Proc. C.A.S . lxx. 176-7; Alum. Cantab. to 1751, s.v. Whiskins, Rob. Rest of para. based on Cottenham Village Coll .

    Cottenham Education

    play groups. 26 Proc. C.A.S . lxx. 148-9. Hist. of educ. in Cottenham treated in Cottenham Village Coll . Local Hist. Group, Char. Sch. to Village Coll .: Cottenham , Rampton , Willingham . Camd. Misc . xii. 209. Inscr.

    Cottenham Manors and other estates

    tenants at both places were the Cottenham family, known holders being Aubrey of Cottenham c . 1166, 50 Walter of Cottenham (fl. 1195-1215 ), John of Cottenham (fl. 1260) in 1235 , Gilbert of Cottenham (fl. 1272, 51 d. by

    Cottenham Introduction Cottenham and Westwick c. 1845

    Cottenham Introduction Cottenham The parish of Cottenham , 48 covering 2,924 ha. (7,224 a.) until 1985 and 2,927 ha. (7,231 a.) afterwards, 49 comprises a wedge of land with a wide base on the river Ouse or Old West River

    Cottenham Economic history

    an insulation contractor and a builder, each with more than 50 workers at Cottenham . 91 Other firms made components for the Cambridge electronics industry. 92 Cottenham had regular carrying services to Cambridge by the mid 19th century and a

    Cottenham Local government

    Cottenham Local government LOCAL GOVERNMENT In 1279 the abbot of Crowland and bishop of Ely each held the view of frankpledge and the assize of bread and of ale for his Cottenham tenants, Crowland in addition having a gallows and

    Westwick Introduction

    of Cottenham , 20 and in the late 11th century its main tenurial links were with that vill. 21 Westwick was too small and probably too late a settlement to have its own church, and the distance from Cottenham led

    Cottenham Church

    Cottenham ; 17 the income was still spent on books for the church in 1987 . 18 The next two rectors, though pluralists, served personally and were buried at Cottenham ; John Dowsing , 1715-22 , was from a

    Introduction

    , and Cottenham , to restore seigneurial rights and revenues and to annex and inclose large tracts of the commons. Some fenland was conceded to the lords but more was retained as common. In some villages, including Cottenham and Fen

    Westwick Economic History

    Cottenham , map. C.U.L., Queens' Coll . Mun., Ed. 1, mm. 4, 32. 'Common rights at Cottenham and Stretham ', Camd. Misc . xii (Camd. 3rd ser. xviii), 232-3, 243; C.U.L., E.D.R., B 2/36, f. 56 and v.; above,

    Rampton Economic history

    was in the hands of Rampton families apart from Thomas Ivatt 's 225 a. Much of the rest belonged to Cottenham or Willingham men who in some cases farmed it themselves. 1 In 1842 for every 3 a. of tenanted

    Westwick Local Government

    , where an aletaster was appointed for Westwick . 51 In the 17th century the inhabitants paid poor rates to Cottenham , 52 but by the late 18th century levied and spent the rate themselves. Nine people out of a

    Landbeach Education

    by 1937 . 21 The older children were sent to Impington village college from 1939 and transferred to that at Cottenham in 1963 . There were still 40 pupils in 1960 , but the village school closed in 1965 ,

    Fen Drayton Nonconformity

    in 1672 , 41 and in 1728 there were 7 Presbyterian families and 1 Quaker one. 42 A minister from Cottenham helped register two houses for dissenting worship in 1752 . 43 Later, dissent was supported by prominent farmers, including

    List of maps

    Based on estate maps of the 1730s and 1817 (C.U.L., MS. Plans 552, 313) page 40 Cottenham and Westwick c . 1845. Based on Cottenham inclosure map, 1847 (C.R.O., Q/RDc 66) and Westwick tithe map, 1838 (C.R.O., P 124/27/1) "

    Willingham Nonconformity

    Jeeps, citing ' Willingham Ch. Bk.' Trans. Cong. Hist. Soc . xii. 130. Cottenham Village Coll . Local Hist. Group, Char. Sch. to Village Coll .: Cottenham , Rampton , Willingham , 15; Baptist Handbk . ( 1861 ), 53;

    Westwick Manors

    by 1486 the house and 23 1/2 a. formerly belonging to him had been conveyed to the trustees of the Cottenham church and causeway estate. 93 Belbouches manor house lay on the north side of the road in the area

Workspace options

Save this search to your workspace

Save checked results (you can make connections from your workspace)

Save and connect checked results to an existing connection

Don't have an account?

Register now to set up your own personal workspace

Bookmarking options

Download options

Click the checkbox next to each item

Donations

As a not-for-profit service, we welcome donations from our users.