skip to the main content area of this page

Search results

You searched for: Place: Cobb, Resource: Victoria County History

Showing 1 resource containing 37 matches.

  • * Victoria County History *

    37 results from this resource, ordered by relevance. Displaying 1 to 20 View more View all

    Berkhampstead St Peter Borough, churches and charities

    already suggested, may have been lengthened at the addition of the aisles. Cobb , Hist. of Berkhamstead , 57. Hist. of Herts . Dacorum Hundred , 63. Cobb , op. cit. 60. So called; over the lady's head are the

    Hospitals St John Baptist , Berkhamstead

    probably Honorius III in 1220 ( Cott . MS. Tib. C v, fol. 271). Hist. Antiq. of Herts . 587. Cobb ( Hist. and Antiq. of Berkhamstead , 72) marked this spot as the site of one of the hospitals,

    Parishes Wimpole

    a group of houses on the site of Park Farm . The road from there to Cobb 's wood survives as a track. Beyond Cobb 's wood was a group of cottages on the site of Little End Cottages. The

    Lichfield Parliamentary representation

    of their grip on the burgage and freehold vote. Accounts kept for the 1747-54 elections by the Whig agent, Thomas Cobb , showed that 72 votes had been acquired since 1747 at a cost of £7,894 9 s . 4

    The borough of Reading Churches

    apparently cleaned off. The church contains no other monuments of interest. There is a ring of ten bells: treble, 'Richard Cobb Ch. Warden, R.C. 1748'; (2) 'By adding two our notes we'll raise & sound y e good subscribers praise

    Banbury Manors

    to Samuel Huckvale and William Milward : at that date Cobb was described as a paper-maker, dealer, and chapman. 85 In 1833 Timothy Rhodes Cobb , a banker, and Edward Cobb jointly purchased the Calthorpe estate. In 1835 they divided

    Madeley Churches

    the Revd. W. F. Cobb . Cobb sold it in 1858 to the Revd. John Bartlett (d. 18 61), 5 whose widow left it to the Revd. C. F. Cobb (d. 1896). 6 In 1897 Cobb 's heirs sold it

    Banbury Buildings

    of the use of brick are probably the late-18th-century No. 22 Cornhill , the former town hall, and Lloyd's (formerly Cobb 's) Bank in High Street . There is also an 18th-century brick cottage in West Bar whose material resembles

    Fordham Introduction Fordham 1879 Eight Ash Green c. 1970

    with closes of land of that name recorded in 1569 ; 64 a barn remains, con- verted to a house. Cobb 's Farm, east of the church, may be a medieval moated site, 65 though the earliest part of the

    The hundred of Banbury THE HUNDRED OF BANBURY

    rights of the lord of the hundred had already lapsed. In 1853 Edward Cobb was lord of the hundreds of Banbury and Bloxham ; 30 the Cobb family may have obtained the hundred when they bought the site of Banbury

    Banbury Churches

    Banbury ', Trans. Unitarian Hist. Soc . i. 281; Cobb , op. cit. 5-11. I. Cobbin , 'History of the church up to his knowledge' ( Banb ury Cong. Recs. 5); Cobb , op. cit. 11-14. M.I. in Christ Church

    Parishes Eling

    arrows varying in different inquisitions. 50 Cobb , or descendants of the same name, held the estate until 1201-2 . 51 In 1212-17 the estate is returned as held by the heir of Cobb the Smith (faber), 52 and this

    Stoke Newington Other estates Stoke Newington : estates c. 1814

    Charles John Graham . 20 Kibblewhite's portion, 21 south of Graham's, descended on his death in 1853 to Robert Curling Cobb (d. 1866) and then to George Robert Green , Kibblewhite's great-nephew, who enfranchised it in 1881 . Hindle, an

    Parishes Great Bookham

    impaling Buckfold, Party cheveronwise argent and sable three bucks' heads countercoloured with their horns or; the third has Slyfield impaling Cobb , Party cheveronwise gules and sable with two swans argent in the chief and a herring or in the

    Banbury Parliamentary representation

    interest were more Conservative in spirit. 59 The Reformers were strongly attacked as the faction of the factory-owner and banker, Cobb , 60 an attack which was to be one of the staple ingredients of Conservative propaganda for the next

    Banbury Origins and growth of the town BANBURY BOUNDARIES AND URBAN DEVELOPMENT BANBURY 1969

    sold his land to the north of the Middleton road to the Banbury Freehold Land Society, which was backed by Cobb 's Bank; many of the early houses built were middle-class in character, but development was slow and some plots

    Index

    Rhodes , 45, 57 n , 65, 91 fam., 3, 44-45, 66, 79, 108, 112-13 Cobb 's Bank , 26, 33, 36, 66, 91 Cobb 's factory , 39, 64, 66, 91 Cobbin , Ingram , 114 Cock-fighting , 15

    Hackney Manors HACKNEY: ESTATES OF PRINCIPAL LANDOWNERS c. 1830

    more. Joanna was the wife of John Pinchbeck in 1676 ; in addition she held freeholds to the west, abutting Cobb 's (later Pratt's) Lane (later straightened as Glyn Road ) and recorded in 1565 . Her children John and

    Index A-J

    , clothing ind. , Coach and Horses P.H. ( Homerton ) , Coach and Horses P.H. ( Newington ) , Cobb 's Lane , see Glyn Rd . Cobham : Reynold, Ric., Thos. de, rector of Hackney and bp. of

    Banbury Economic history THE OXFORDSHIRE HAMLETS OF BANBURY PARISH C. 1700

    was divided between several tenants in 1710 , 58 but by 1785 there were only two, of whom one, Thomas Cobb , subsequently acquired the entire property as owner-occupier. 59 In 1852 a relic of the estate survived, an 80-acre

Workspace options

Save this search to your workspace

Save checked results (you can make connections from your workspace)

Save and connect checked results to an existing connection

Don't have an account?

Register now to set up your own personal workspace

Bookmarking options

Download options

Click the checkbox next to each item

Donations

As a not-for-profit service, we welcome donations from our users.