skip to the main content area of this page

Search results

You searched for: Place: Chorlton, Resource: Victoria County History

Showing 1 resource containing 35 matches.

  • * Victoria County History *

    35 results from this resource, ordered by relevance. Displaying 1 to 20 View more View all

    Addenda and corrigenda to volumes 3, 5 and 6

    326, s.v . Cropredy delete ( Northants .) Vol. VI, page xv, line 11 from the end, for Charlton read Chorlton " page 9 b , line 19, for atainder read attainder " page 27 b , 12 lines from

    Townships Chorlton -with-Hardy

    in Chorlton , and a moiety of the manor in Chorlton . 13 John son of Roger de Barlow was in possession in 1389 , and a year or two later a settlement of his lards in Barlow , Chorlton

    Townships Beswick

    of North Manchester . MANOR Originally a detached part of the demesne of Chorlton , BESWICK was early in the 13th century granted by Gospatrick de Chorlton to Cockersand Abbey in pure alms. 1 Of the abbey it was in

    Townships Withington

    Ordnance datum. The population in 1901 was 19,112. A brook which is called Gore Brook in Gorton and Chorlton Brook in Chorlton crosses the middle of Withington from north-east to south-west, and is joined by the Ley or Cringle Brook

    Townships Ardwick

    in Ardwick and Chorlton of Edward Mosley as of his manor of Manchester ; the annual value was 40 s .; ibid. xxvii, 44. Edmund Entwisle in 1544 held some land in Ardwick , together with his Chorlton estate; ibid.

    The V.C.H. Cheshire appeal

    Chester A. V. Turner , Esq., Chorlton by Backford A. J. Vernon , Haslington Mrs. B. Warrington , Chester Mr. and Mrs. E. S. R. Warwick , Chester T. C. Watkin , Esq., Chorlton by Backford D. J. I. West

    Townships Stretford

    Side ), Chorlton -with-Hardy, Chorltonupon-Medlock, Ancoats , Manchester , Salford , and Turton. His father Sir John had granted lands in Harwood to Margaret on her marriage with Edmund; Margaret still survived. Sir Edmund had settled lands in Chorlton -with-Hardy,

    Townships Entwistle

    in thirty or thirty-six messuages and various lands, largely moor and pasture, in Entwisle, Wayoh (' Wao '), Bolton , Chorlton , Rusholme , Ardwick , Withington , and Manchester . 8 In the second case the estate, after one

    Townships Gorton

    d . Thomas de Chorlton had 7 acres there; Mamecestre , ii, 363. Note by Mr. Earwaker . Greenlow Heath appears to have been considered a separate township, or at least a conspicuous hamlet of Chorlton . The hamlet of

    Townships Moss Side

    Pal. of Lanc. Plea. R. 172, m. 13. Moss Side is named in their inquisitions; see further under Withington and Chorlton -with-Hardy. 'Two messuages and 20 acres of land in Withington called Moss Side ' were held by Sir Edmund

    Townships Manchester (part 2 of 2) MOSLEY OF MANCHESTER , & c.

    vii, 30; the tenure is not stated. It was held with lands in Chorlton and Ardwick . Garrett appears always to have been closely connected with Chorlton -uponMedlock, as will be seen in the account of Robert and John Grelley's

    Houses of Cistercian nuns The priory of Catesby

    s . 71/2 d . Tallow for candles cost 2 s .; pitchers, 8 d .; 2,000 slates bought at Chorlton , 8 s . 4 d .; 700 tiles bought at Coventry , 4 s . 6 d .;

    Townships Wilpshire

    Dewhurst. Representatives of the family are still living in the district, but the estate is now the property of the Chorlton and Manchester Joint Asylums Committee, who have an epileptic colony at Langho in the next township. CARR HALL .-This

    Townships Worston

    granting it is recorded in Harl. MS. 2077. By it John de Lacy granted to Guy son of Thomas de Chorlton 1 oxgang of land in the vill of Worston with a toft and assarted land which the reeve had

    Townships Manchester (part 1 of 2)

    which is the Free Trade Hall, goes west to Deansgate; and Oxford Street , another great thoroughfare, goes south-east into Chorlton . Opposite the infirmary Oldham Street and Oldham Road 6 lead north-east towards Oldham . In 1666 there were

    Townships Hulme

    east. In 1896 its independent existence ceased, it being merged in the new township of South Manchester . The old Chorlton Union Workhouse, built about 1840, stood in Stretford Road , opposite Holy Trinity Church . MANOR The early descent

    Houses of Augustinian canons The priory of St Thomas near Stafford

    ibid. 167-8. Ibid. 175. Eudes also gave the priory various lands which he held of Elias de Chorlton and of the church of Chorlton ; these were probably in this area of the county, but not part of his lordship

    Houses of Knights Templar

    of the foundation of this preceptory is uncertain, but it arose from the grant of land in Newsam, Skelton , Chorlton , and Whitkirk made to the Templars by William de Villiers, who died in 1181 . This grant was

    Manchester The parish and advowson

    or 'closet of St. Nicholas' had a chantry founded, it was believed, by Robert Grelley-possibly the lord of Allerton and Chorlton , living in the 14th century; the clear income was £5 9 s . 7 d . 90 In

    Index of parishes, townships and manors

    ), 371 Cayley ( Winwick ), 140 Cheetham ( Manchester ), (t) 259, (m) 259 Chorlton -upon-Medlock ( Manchester ), (t) 251, (m) 252 Chorlton -with-Hardy ( Manchester ), (t) 297, (m) 298 Clayden ( Manchester ), 240 Clayton (

Workspace options

Save this search to your workspace

Save checked results (you can make connections from your workspace)

Save and connect checked results to an existing connection

Don't have an account?

Register now to set up your own personal workspace

Bookmarking options

Download options

Click the checkbox next to each item

Donations

As a not-for-profit service, we welcome donations from our users.