skip to the main content area of this page

Search results

You searched for: Place: Chetwode, Resource: Victoria County History

Showing 1 resource containing 27 matches.

  • * Victoria County History *

    27 results from this resource, ordered by relevance. Displaying 1 to 20 View more View all

    Parishes Chetwode

    ; between 1235 and 1247 Ralph de Chetwode was lord. 28 Robert de Vitteney held Chetwode in wardship in 1254 -5, 29 and in 1284 Robert de Chetwode was lord. 30 John de Chetwode , who was knight of the

    Houses of Austin canons The priory of Chetwode

    land at Chetwode , the king's gift above mentioned, and the churches of Chetwode and Barton Hartshorn . 9 In 1284 the prior held 81/2 virgates at Chetwode with the site of the priory, of Robert de Chetwode . 10

    Parishes Barton Hartshorn

    38 Thenceforward they descended with the priory manor of Chetwode (q.v.). No mention of it, as a manor, occurs after 1840, 39 but the owners of the priory estate in Chetwode have continued to hold land in this parish. By

    Houses of Austin canons The abbey of Nutley

    , 37 Lillingstone (Dayrell) in Buckinghamshire 38 ; and in 1461 the lands of the priory of Chetwode , with the churches of Chetwode and Barton Hartshorn , and the chapel of Brill . 39 In the time of Bishop

    RELIGIOUS HOUSES Introduction

    different orders were founded during the thirteenth century in this county: Medmenham (Cistercian) in 1204 ; Snelshall (Benedictine) about 1219; Chetwode (Augustinian) in 1245 ; Ravenstone (Augustinian) in 1255 ; Burnham (Augustinian nuns) in 1266 ; and Ashridge (Bonhommes) as

    Parishes Wolston

    to have been the 'mill of Stratton which is called Perimulne' which was given to Combe Abbey by Robert de Chetwode and Sybil his wife, with the whole suit of his men of Wolston and Marston . 19 Its site

    Buckingham hundred Introduction Index Map to the Hundred of Buckingham

    Adstock ; Akeley ; Barton Hartshorn ; Beachampton ; Biddlesden ; Caversfield 1 Chetwode ; Edgcott ; Foscott; Hillesden ; Leckhampstead ; Lillingstone Dayrell ; Lillingstone Lovell ; 2 Luffield Abbey ; Maids' Moreton ; Marsh Gibbon ; Padbury ;

    Begbroke Economic history

    1595 by mutual agreement of the lords, Richard Chetwode and Humphrey FitzHerbert. In 1603 the latter inclosed 8 yardlands, half the arable in the parish, allegedly for conversion to pasture, and Chetwode 's successor Sir William Spencer , a prominent

    Parishes Banstead

    1316 -17, when John de Chetwode , sen., settled it on himself for life with remainder to his son John and Lucy his wife and their heirs. 125 Almost a century previously a Ralph de Chetwode had held 10 s

    Colleges St Laurence Pountney

    given up all but its patronage of the church. 35 Masters of the College of St. Laurence Pountney William de Chetwode , occurs 1338, 36 1346, 37 and 1348 38 Robert Witherdeley or Wytley, presented 1363, 39 occurs 1368, 40

    Begbroke Church

    held by the Lyons family in the 13th and 14th centuries, passing with their moiety of the manor to the Chetwode and Spencer families. 62 It was then divided among the four heirs of Sir Thomas Spencer (d. 1685). One

    Parishes Duns Tew Duns Tew , 1722

    wife of Sir Thomas Woodhill . 50 Their descendant Agnes, only daughter of Anthony Woodhill (d. 1542), married Richard Chetwode of Chetwode (Bucks.). Their son Richard sold the estate in 1598 to Thomas Read (d. 1604), son of the Thomas

    Begbroke Manors and other estates

    1346). 55 The manor passed thereafter with the family's Duns Tew manor to the Chetwode and Woodhill families. 56 Begbroke was sold in 1599 by Richard Chetwode to Sir William Spencer of Yarnton , 57 in whose family it remained

    Parishes Brill

    the hermitage or 'priory of St. Werburgh' 91 and the royal chapel 92 until the annexation of the former to Chetwode Priory in 1251 . 93 The prior was then required to supply two chaplains, one for the chapel of

    Parishes Bucknell BUCKNELL

    hide in the hamlet 'of the fee of Boffin' and paid 12 s . a year to the Prior of Chetwode (Bucks.). 106 By 1257 Thomas Boffin had endowed the priory, founded twelve years earlier, 107 with all his land

    Parishes White Waltham

    north-east. Woolley Hall is the residence of Mr. Walter Cottingham , Woolley Grange of Mr. P. M. le Poer Trench, Chetwode , formerly known as Flint House , of the Earl of Rosslyn, and Lane Farm , to the south

    Parishes Hillesden

    Manors Land at HILLESDEN is mentioned in the Anglo-Saxon charter of 949, 21 to which reference has been made in Chetwode (q.v.). Before the Conquest Alric, a thegn of King Edward , held a manor here; in 1086 it was

    Parishes Lillingstone Lovell

    wife, with three inverted shields, one bearing the quartered arms of Bradshaw and the others the arms of Risley of Chetwode . The four bells were made by Alexander Rigby in 1693 . The plate comprises an Elizabethan cup and

    Parishes Stowe

    co-heir of Thomas 'Longports.' 116 The d escent of this manor after its acquisition by the Wahulls follows that of Chetwode , no separate mention of it being found later than the 16th century. 117 The entry for BOYCOTT MANOR

    Parishes Godington

    purchased by William Fermor 92 and it again became part of the manor. A virgate in Godington was held by Chetwode Priory (Bucks.) in 1279 93 and passed with the priory's possessions to Notley Abbey (Bucks.) in 1461 . 94

Workspace options

Save this search to your workspace

Save checked results (you can make connections from your workspace)

Save and connect checked results to an existing connection

Don't have an account?

Register now to set up your own personal workspace

Bookmarking options

Download options

Click the checkbox next to each item

Donations

As a not-for-profit service, we welcome donations from our users.