skip to the main content area of this page

Search results

You searched for: Place: Burcot, Resource: Victoria County History

Showing 1 resource containing 41 matches.

  • * Victoria County History *

    41 results from this resource, ordered by relevance. Displaying 1 to 20 View more View all

    Parishes Burcot

    Parishes BurcotBURCOTBurcot lies on the north bank of the Thames , 13/4 miles north-west of Dorchester . Its historical relationship with Dorchester cannot be precisely defined: for long it has been dependent ecclesiastically on Dorchester 1 but independent

    Parishes East Stratton

    8 Perhaps, therefore, it was at Burcot that Waleran the Huntsman held his 41/2 hides of the abbey's demesne lands in 1086 . 9 In 1199 Adam of Burcot held 1 hide in Burcot , the service from which was

    Wrockwardine Charities for the poor

    four cottages 93 to which the old workhouse had been converted. 94 By her will of 1675 Margaret Langley of Burcot left £10. It was probably the bequest that was being honoured in 1821 by Edward Cludde and Mr. Stainer

    Parishes Clifton Hampden

    one of the lords of Clifton and Burcot . 117 His successor can perhaps be identified as the John de Bradecote (? Bridecote or Burcot ) who held a 1/2-fee in Clifton and Burcot in 1346 , although nothing has

    Dorchester hundred DORCHESTER HUNDRED

    Burcot , Clifton , Chislehampton , and Stadhampton , and several fees held of the bishop, including Nicholas of Burcot 's fee in Drayton (including Holcombe ) and Clifton , William de Baldindon's two fees in Clifton , Baldon,

    Tax assessments, 1306-1523

    10 17 Dorchester 10 3 10 0 2 4 9 10 39 3 19 8 215 6 18 10 47 Burcot 1 2 10 3/4 10 2 7 2 17 2 15 6 41 17 6 14 Total 4 12

    Wrockwardinew Late 17th- Century Wrockwardine

    Admaston , Allscott , Bratton , Charlton , Cluddley , Leaton , and Long Lane , the capital messuages of Burcot and Orleton , and the deserted settlement and former township of Nash . 84 A detached township of the

    Parishes Dorchester DORCHESTER C. 1840 [ Dorchester church ]

    . They also received the money collected from Burcot , although the Burcot wardens evidently kept separate records. Most of the wardens' income came from a yearly rate on Dorchester and Burcot ; by this time it was levied on

    Parishes Drayton St Leonard

    of the Burcot family, 42 who were tenants of 1 knight's fee held of the Bishop of Lincoln in the 12th and 13th centuries. Nicholas son of Bartholomew 43 held the fee in 1201 . A Nicholas de Burcot ,

    Wrockwardine Manors and other estates

    the Orleton estate to his nephew William Pemberton (later Cludde) and Burcot remained part of the Orleton estate in 1982 . 9 In 1670 the capital messuage of Burcot was apparently an H-shaped timber-framed building with a central gable on

    Wrockwardine Local government and public services

    and there are many later records. 27 In 1413-14 the townships of Wrockwardine , Admaston , Allscott , Bratton , Burcot , Cluddley , Leaton , Nash , and Quam Pool (in Wrockwardine Wood ) presented, although Bratton was a

    Craft Guilds

    that the company's feasting of the mayor might be suspended while the company was paying off a levy to the Burcot commissioners, but the tradition was still observed in the mid 18th century. 80 The company was equipped with flags

    Parishes Northington

    land, 2 acres of meadow, 100 acres of wood, besides other land in Totford , Northington , Swarraton , and Burcot . In 1357 they granted these lands to Richard Burton and his wife Alice , together with the remainder

    Romano-British remains Introduction

    of population was not great. Within this area few stonebuilt houses are to be found. One small one existed at Burcot , another at Frilford in Berkshire , 8 miles west, while others are to be found on the high

    Parishes Nuneham Courtenay Sketch map of Nuneham Courtenay in 1707

    his estate at Burcot on St. Thomas 's day. Ten shillings was to be paid to four poor churchgoing widows and 10 s . to poor labourers. 316 This sum was paid by Mr. Bush of Burcot , according to

    Early Man Mesolothic and Neolithic

    conditions. Examples are known from Alchester, Shotover, Elsfield , Bampton , Benson , and Standlake , and the Thames at Burcot . One was found in a late Neolithic or Bronze Age pit at Sutton Courtenay , Berks . 13

    List of illustrations

    1983 6 Lilleshall : the Old Lodge c . 1800. Watercolour in S.P.L., J. H. Smith colln. no. 126 7 Burcot : tollhouse. Photograph by P. A. Stamper , 1983 8 Wombridge : Trench inclined plane. Photograph c . 1920

    Houses of Augustinian canons The abbey of Dorchester

    Baldon , Drayton , Clifton Hampden , Chislehampton , Stadhampton , and Dorchester , with its chapelries of Overy and Burcot . These were the churches which in old days had been served by the prebendaries of Dorchester , and

    Index

    62 Burcot , de, John, s. of Nic., 19, 20, 73; Nic. (fl. early 13 th cent.), 19, 73, and see Clifton , de; Nic. (fl. 1279), 3, 19, 21, 67, 73, 75; fam., 19, 73; fee, 75 Burcot ,

    Wrockwardine Economic history

    field. 60 There were other areas of open-field land east of Allscott , north of Admaston , 61 and between Burcot , Orleton , and Cluddley . 62 In Charlton the three main fields surrounded the hamlet and c .

Workspace options

Save this search to your workspace

Save checked results (you can make connections from your workspace)

Save and connect checked results to an existing connection

Don't have an account?

Register now to set up your own personal workspace

Bookmarking options

Download options

Click the checkbox next to each item

Donations

As a not-for-profit service, we welcome donations from our users.