skip to the main content area of this page

Search results

You searched for: Place: Binsey, Resource: Victoria County History

Showing 1 resource containing 30 matches.

  • * Victoria County History *

    30 results from this resource, ordered by relevance. Displaying 1 to 20 View more View all

    Outlying Parts of the Liberty THE LIBERTY c. 1750

    of Binsey from an early date may originally have been called Thornbury (thorn-tree hill), considered in the 15th century to be an alternative name for Binsey . 62 South-east of Binsey lies Medley which has been joined to Binsey by

    Parishes Seacourt

    existence on the opposite side of the river of the sacred well of St. Margaret at Binsey . The old highway from Eynsham to Binsey passed through Seacourt instead of Botley and crossed the river by a bridge, remains of

    Houses of Augustinian canons The priory of St Frideswide, Oxford

    the churches of Oxford , 4 while Henry I gave the churches of Headington , Marston , Elsfield , and Binsey , and permission to hold a fair for a week, beginning on the vigil of the Translation of St.

    Boundaries MODERN BOUNDARY EXTENSIONS

    Oxford , were in a separate liberty, Northgate hundred. 5 Binsey , too, seems sometimes to have been excluded from the town's jurisdiction, but medieval subsidy assessments for Oxford included Binsey , Holywell , and the parishes of St. Thomas

    Houses of Benedictine nuns The abbey of Godstow

    wise she should build a place' to His service. When for some time she had lived a holy life at Binsey , one night a voice told her to rise, and go where a light from heaven touched the ground,

    Bullingdon hundred Bullingdon hundred

    must have been in Bullingdon. The boundary would then have followed the western arm of the Thames and have included Binsey , Medley, and Oseney. 4 There is only one direct reference to four of the later hundreds in Domesday

    Parishes Marston

    the manor of Headington . The great, composite royal manor included water-meadows beyond the Cherwell as far as Oseney and Binsey on the Thames , and fisheries in both rivers. Marston , although a separate agricultural community, was presumably never

    Mills and Fisheries

    Trill mill was accused of interfering with the weir of Blackfriars ' mill, 9 and in 1337 men from Medley, Binsey , and Os eney broke sluices and weirs at Castle mill. 10 Two new mills built by the abbot

    Romano-British remains Coins

    367, and show at once the volume and the continuity of the earlier issues. Four sceattas have been recorded, from Binsey , Dorchester , Tackley , and an unnamed site 'near Oxford '. Rept. Research Comm. Soc. Antiq. vii (

    Communications

    the site of the later St. Frideswide's Bridge; from that point, too, a road branched northwestwards to Binsey . 5 The road through Binsey , Seacourt, and across Wytham Hill may have been the principal route to Eynsham and the

    Table of population, 1801-1901

    280 Oxford City and University All Saints 50 7 584 485 600 560 593 559 468 383 372 319 216 Binsey 51 386 55 66 82 74 61 77 67 95 63 73 54 Holywell (or St. Cross) 50 236

    Early Man Bronze Age

    edge of Port Meadow on a line that leads across the meadow to an ancient ford of the Thames at Binsey . In it were broken implements, two looped and socketed lance-heads, a bar of bronze, a crude knife, a

    Christ Church

    were paid a curious assortment of receipts-rents for the chambers on the east and west sides of Peckwater: tithe from Binsey : certain 'harriots': the surplus of Lock Mead . In 1721 it reached a total of £275. 114 There

    Index A-J

    , queen of Wm. IV, Adullam chapel , Agas , Ralph, Aglionby , John, agriculture , around Oxf., and see Binsey ; graziers; Holywell ; Walton Ailric's eyot , aircraft , and see Cowley , airfield Alan , count of

    Medieval Oxford OXFORD c. 1375

    endowments, and dedication it had acquired. Later versions of the legend supplied Frideswide with parents and named the wood as Binsey , one of the early endowments of the monastic house, but the details are presumably largely imaginary. 35 There

    Northmoor Economic history

    both of the fairs was evidently large, with 40 booths and stalls, 3 or 4 house boats from Oxford and Binsey , and tradesmen from Witney and presumably elsewhere. 15 From the later 18th century tolls were collected apparently by

    Charities for the Poor

    849. City Arch. F.5.8, p. 441. Ibid. N.4.2, f. 45V.; O.C.A . 1626-65 , 50-1. Excluding St. John 's and Binsey . O.C.A . 1626-65 , 46, where 40 marks is evidently an error for 20 marks or 40 nobles:

    Wolvercote Introduction Wolvercote 1765

    c . 38 a. of Wolvercote within the Oxford City boundary (most of the parish west of Godstow bridge) to Binsey civil parish, and the Local Government Board's Provisional Orders Confirmation Act of 1889 transferred the 14 a. west of

    INDEX A-J

    of Abingdon , Bessels L eigh , see Leigh , Bessels Betton , - , Bettrice: (or Bettres), Edw., Ric., Binsey , see Oxford Birch: Sam., vicar of Bampton , W. M., vicar of Bampton Aston , and his w.,

    INDEX K-Z

    .), outfangthief, Owen, Hugh, vicar of Bampton , Owertayn, David, Oxford , n , All Saints' ch., n as address, Binsey , carriers to, castle, and see Oxford : St. George's Civil War, mkt., New Road Baptist ch., nonconf., Osney

Workspace options

Save this search to your workspace

Save checked results (you can make connections from your workspace)

Save and connect checked results to an existing connection

Don't have an account?

Register now to set up your own personal workspace

Bookmarking options

Download options

Click the checkbox next to each item

Donations

As a not-for-profit service, we welcome donations from our users.