skip to the main content area of this page

Search results

You searched for: Place: Bicester, Resource: Victoria County History

Showing 1 resource containing 162 matches.

  • * Victoria County History *

    162 results from this resource, ordered by relevance. Displaying 1 to 20 View more View all

    Hospitals Bicester

    Hospitals Bicester 33. THE HOSPITAL OF BICESTER In 1355 Nicholas Jurdan , a hermit, obtained the king's licence to found again ( de novo fundare ) a hospital in connexion with a certain chapel of St. John the Baptist ,

    Houses of Augustinian canons The priory of Bicester

    Houses of Augustinian canons The priory of Bicester 15. THE PRIORY OF BICESTER Although there is no chartulary of the Austin priory of Bicester , yet more than fifty of the original charters are preserved at the British Museum and

    The market town of Bicester BICESTER BICESTER

    horses of the Bicester Troop. 427 The Bicester and Warden Hill Hunt goes back to 1778, when John Warde kept a pack of hounds at Weston-on-the-Green and hunted the Bicester country. The hunt became known as the Bicester when the

    Houses of Augustinian canons St Mary's College , Oxford

    hold office for only one year. In 1452 building was still in progress, for in that year the prior of Bicester contributed 6 s . 8 d . to the work. 5 Priors of St. Mary 's College, Oxford 6

    Begbroke Nonconformity

    1897 . 24 The priory inevitably became a centre for Roman Catholicism over a wide area, extending as far as Bicester in the early 20th century. 25 Begbroke Place, later St. Juliana's school, was used in the earlier 20th century

    Parishes Stratton Audley STRATION AUDLEY

    the parish of Bicester . The church is first specifically mentioned when it was granted with the church of Bicester , of which it was a dependent chapel, by Gilbert Basset , lord of the manors of Bicester and Stratton

    Parishes Ambrosden

    the minute book of the 'Protestant Dissenters at Bicester ' as a branch church, and the Bicester minister had administered the Lord's Supper there for the first time. 323 This connexion with Bicester conti nued until 1884, when Blackthorn was

    Oxfordshire V.C.H. committee

    1949- JUNE 1957 President The Rt. Hon. Lord Bicester , Her Majesty's Lieutenant and Custos Rotulorum for the County (died 1956) 1 2 Col. Sir Charles Ponsonby , Bt., t.d., d.l. (since 1956) Vice-Presidents The Rt. Rev. the Lord Bishop

    List of maps and plans

    Stevens . Page The Hundred of Ploughley, facing 1 The Town of Bicester , Historical Development 15 Bicester , Market End and King's End Manors in 1753 29 Bicester Church 45 Bletchingdon in the 18th century 63 Bucknell Church 79

    Parishes Launton

    and Convent of Westminster and the Prior and Convent of Bicester , whereby the latter were to inclose 8 acres in the common pasture near their sheep-walk at Wretchwick in Bicester parish, and the former were to inclose 8 acres

    Parishes Wendlebury

    100 In 1540 Thomas Pope was granted the former Bicester and Studley properties. 101 The latter was subsequently granted to John Croke , 102 and the former to Roger Moore of Bicester . 103 Moore sold the estate to John

    Parishes Middleton Stoney

    October 1350 . 78 After the dissolution of Bicester Priory in 1536 these lands, valued at £2 a year. 79 were among those granted by Henry VIII to Roger Moore of Bicester for £187 17 s . 2 d .

    Parishes Newton Purcell

    acted as deputy to his cousin Sir Thomas Mostyn , Master of the Bicester Hunt. Both men figure in an oil-painting of the first meet of the Bicester Hounds. 27 ' Griff ' Lloyd was a 'character' and stories about

    Parishes Tusmore

    William Burn in 1858 . In 1929, however, Tusmore was bought by the late Vivian Hugh Smith , afterwards Lord Bicester . Assisted by his architects, Messrs. Imrie and Angell, he was responsible for a thorough restoration. The Victorian wing

    Parishes Caversfield

    ft. towards the south. The parish is crossed by the road from Banbury to Bicester and is bounded on the east by the Roman road from Bicester . There is no village, the buildings in the parish being mainly farms.

    Editorial note

    drawings from the late Mr. G. J. Dew 's collection, and to the Revd. W. H. Trebble , Vicar of Bicester , in lending a lithograph of the interior of the church. Much general assistance, often of a laborious kind,

    Ploughley hundred PLOUGHLEY HUNDRED

    the ground that Oxford , the centre for Bullingdon, was nearer to these places than was Bicester . 74 In the 19th century Bicester was the centre for the hundred, but there is no evidence about when it became so.

    Parishes Kirtlington KIRTLINGTON

    . The Bicester road was the name normally used of Akeman Street, which runs east from the Somerton road along the north edge of Kirtlington Park . 7 The Middleton road , used as an alternative road to Bicester ,

    List of subscribers

    Esq. R. B. Ramsbotham, Esq., M.B.E. Sir John Russell , O.B.E., F.R.S. Rt. Rev. Bishop Sheddon Miss J. M. Shelmerdine Bicester Urban District Mrs. M. R. Coker R. A. Evans , Esq. F. T. Hudson, Esq. Dr. G. N. Montgomery

    Sport

    had to give up hunting on account of the young spring crops. The Bicester and Warden Hill The earliest discoverable record of fox-hunting in the present Bicester and Warden Hill country bears date 1778, when the celebrated John Warde ,

Workspace options

Save this search to your workspace

Save checked results (you can make connections from your workspace)

Save and connect checked results to an existing connection

Don't have an account?

Register now to set up your own personal workspace

Bookmarking options

Download options

Click the checkbox next to each item

Donations

As a not-for-profit service, we welcome donations from our users.