skip to the main content area of this page

Search results

You searched for: Place: Beckhampton, Resource: Victoria County History

Showing 1 resource containing 27 matches.

  • * Victoria County History *

    27 results from this resource, ordered by relevance. Displaying 1 to 20 View more View all

    Parishes Avebury Avebury and East Kennett c. 1840

    229 Beckhampton manor was held of John Wroughton in 1463 . 230 Before 1485 the lordship passed to Fotheringhay college, the overlord in 1495 . 231 Hilary of Beckhampton held Beckhampton c . 1190, 232 as did Hamon of Beckhampton

    Selkley hundred Selkley hundred c. 1841

    five tithings in other parishes. The complete parishes were Aldbourne , Avebury including the tithings of Beckhampton and West Kennett , East Kennett , Mildenhall including the tithings of Poulton and Stitchcombe , Ogbourne St. Andrew including the tithings of

    Hospitals St John the Baptist , Marlborough

    king's visits to Marlborough . In 1267 the master of the hospital won an action of disseisin against John of Beckhampton and others in respect of a virgate at East Kennett . 6 The master and brethren, and their attorneys

    Parishes Winterbourne Bassett The Winterbournes in the early 19th century

    16th century. 3 In the 17th century lands and tithes from Stanmore , formerly a detached but tithable part of Beckhampton chapelry in Avebury , passed to the lord of Winterbourne Bassett manor and the rector of Winterbourne Bassett respectively,

    Index

    Bincknoll Beckhampton : Hamon of, 95 Hilary of, 95-6 John of, 95 Ric. of, 95 Beckhampton (in Avebury ), 62-3, 66, 86, 89-92, 96, 98, 101-2, 184 agric., 99-100 Beckhampton club, 91 Beckhampton Ho ., 91, 100; and see Beckhampton

    Blackland Blackland c . 1844 St. Peter's Church from the south-east in 1806

    to a stud farm and sold it in 1928 to Frederick Darling (d. 1953), a racehorse trainer with stables at Beckhampton , in Avebury . In 1934 Darl ing bought an adjoining 37 a., and in 1953 his executors sold

    Roads Turnpike roads

    to Chippenham and then passing through Bradford . 24 The road to Bath branching from the Bristo l road at Beckhampton was marked as a secondary road; it was this road, however, which the early coaches followed and which later

    Parishes Bishop's Cannings

    1937 a club-house was erected. 20 In the north-east corner of the parish are training gallops for the racing-stables at Beckhampton . Drew 's Pond, a small stretch of water in the southern outskirts of Devizes in Roundway parish, now

    Sport

    to ride horses trained at Beckhampton included S. Wood , Steve Donoghue , Sir Gordon Richards , and, for a short time, H. Wragg . Horses belonging to many successful owners were trained at Beckhampton , including horses leased to

    Index A - Z

    m. Edm. Tudor, 79 Beauvoir , Wm. de, 33 Beckett , Margery, see Pexsall; Oliver , 94 Beckhampton , Hamon of, 32 Beckhampton , in Avebury , 32 Bede , Ellis, 181; John, 181 Beere , Ric., abbot of Glastonbury

    Parishes Wroughton

    now diverges from its old route south of Salthrop House and winds south-eastwards to join the road from Wroughton to Beckhampton , in Avebury . From Salthrop a road ran eastwards across the parish to the church and was known

    The King's government in the Middle Ages The hundreds of Wiltshire c. 1830

    Reynold of Calne , Hamon of Beckhampton , Richard de Haselden, and William of Durnf ord. The first had already been an assize commissioner on many occasions and was escheator in 1232 . Beckhampton had been an assize commissioner in

    Parishes Clyffe Pypard Clyffe Pypard , c. 1773

    Before the Conquest Stanmore had been held by Bruning, who paid geld for 21/2 hides. Hamon of Beckhampton held it along with Beckhampton (in Avebury ) of Matthew Columbers in 1242 -3. 230 Like the manor of Clyffe Stanmore seems

    Parishes All Cannings

    stones. The boundary with Bishop's Cannings was marked north of Wansdyke by the top of a ridge running back to Beckhampton in Avebury , for some way south of Wansdyke by the top of a ridge west of Tan Hill

    Calne Introduction Calne (West) and Bowood 1843 Calne (East) 1843

    in 1871 . 30 The main London-Bath road , which in the 17th century diverged from the London-Bristol road at Beckhampton , in Avebury , 31 crossed the south-west corner of Calne parish. Sandy Lane hamlet stands on its course.

    Cherhill Cherhill 1843 St. James's church from the south-east in 1806

    London road , and c . 70 a. there was used as gallops for racehorses in training at stables at Beckhampton , in Avebury . Bell farm, mainly south-east of the village, was divided in 1979 , from when its

    Heddington Heddington 1841 St. Andrew's church from the north-east in 1806

    highest known level. 4 The main London-Bath road , which in the 17th century diverged from the London-Bristol road at Beckhampton , in Avebury , 5 crossed the flat downland in the south-east corner of Heddington parish, crossed the summit

    Parliamentary history 1689-1832

    were chosen by amicable agreement among the leading gentry. This is the hey-day of the Deptford ( Wylye ) and Beckhampton ( Avebury ) Clubs- meetings of the principal gentry, and especially the justices of the peace of south and

    Index A-J

    antiquarian, author , and see Maundrell, Hen. (fl. 1690s); Wheatley Autoguide Equipment Ltd. , Avebury , John of, Avebury , Beckhampton , q.v . vicars, see Mayo , Jas. (three of the name) Avebury with Winterbourne Monkton , benefice, bacon

    Index A-Z

    see Beaches Becket , Ric, 22 n Beckford , Wm. (sr.), 225; Wm. (jr.), 225; fam., 225 Beckhampton , Hamon of, 19 Beckhampton , in Avebury , 200-1, 205 Bedborough , in Bishop's Cannings, 320 'Bedewynd' , see Bedwyn Bedfordshire

Workspace options

Save this search to your workspace

Save checked results (you can make connections from your workspace)

Save and connect checked results to an existing connection

Don't have an account?

Register now to set up your own personal workspace

Bookmarking options

Download options

Click the checkbox next to each item

Donations

As a not-for-profit service, we welcome donations from our users.