skip to the main content area of this page

Search results

You searched for: Place: "Aston Cantlow", Source type: Secondary sources

Showing 1 resource containing 16 matches.

  • * Victoria County History *

    16 results from this resource, ordered by relevance. Displaying 1 to 16 View more View all

    Parishes Aston Cantlow [ Plan of Aston Cantlow church ]

    Parishes Aston CantlowASTON CANTLOW Acreage: 4,894. Population: 1911, 896; 1921, 878; 1931, 820. Aston Cantlow is an extensive parish, about 51/2 miles from north-west to south-east, stretching across the valley of the Alne . The main village, consisting of

    Houses of Austin canons Priory of Maxstoke

    of the church of Yardley , which had been assigned to them in 1307 . 12 The advowson of Aston Cantlow , followed by the appropriation of the church, was among the further endowments, the prior and convent of Studley

    Parishes Bearley

    by Wootton Wawen and Langley , on the east by Snitterfield , and on the south and west by Aston Cantlow . The western boundary is formed by a stream running out of Edstone Lake ; this may perhaps be

    Parishes Bentley

    have granted land in Bentley , outside the limits of the park and outwood, to John de Wilmcote of Aston Cantlow at a fee farm rent of 5 marks. 15 This rent was reduced by Sir Andrew de Asteley to

    List of illustrations

    9 " High Street and Church Great Alne : Church Plan 25 Arrow : Ragley Hall Plate, facing 30 Aston Cantlow : The Gild House " Church Plan 39 Beaudesert : Church, Exterior plate, facing 46 " " Interior "

    Houses of Austin canons Priory of Studley

    such custody. 3 William de Cantilupe, who succeeded his father of the like name, gave the canons lands in Aston Cantlow to the value of £10 per annum for the support of a hospital for impotent folk at the monastery

    The hundreds of Warwickshire

    which gave its name to the latter was on the top of a well-marked hill in the parish of Aston Cantlow . The name was long preserved in ' Pathlow House ', shown on many Warwickshire maps, such as Thomas

    Parishes Billesley BILLESLEY HALL Sketch Plan

    but it remained a separate parish in fact. From the main road a by-road runs past the Hall to Aston Cantlow , with a fork westwards to Haselor , and south of the Hall another road comes in from Wilmcote

    Parishes Spernall

    Arrow near the church, where the present bridge replaces a ford, and continues up the hill to Shelfield and Aston Cantlow , the eastern portion of it being known as Burford Lane . About a quarter of a mile beyond

    Parishes Temple Grafton HILLBOROUGH TEMPLE GRAFTON Sketch plan

    of certain rents in Hillborough as part of his manor of Aston Cantlow . 100 The overlordship, like that of Ipsley , descended with the manor of Aston Cantlow at least down to the reign of Elizabeth. 101 It was

    Parishes Haselor [ Plan of Haselor church ]

    are the much restored village stocks. At Walcot , which lies along a double bend of the road to Aston Cantlow , there are also several timberframed houses. On the south-west side of the road near the second turning is

    Parishes Ipsley [ Plan of Ipsley church ]

    the fee descended, 12 passing to the Beauchamp and Neville Lords Bergavenny, 13 in right of their manor of Aston Cantlow . William Hubold occurs in 1130 , 14 and Hugh Hubald held Ipsley about 1170. 15 In 1199 Henry

    Parishes Studley GORCOTT HALL LOWER SKILTS, STUDLEY Sketch plan [ Plan of Studley church ]

    his tenants there were quit of suit at the hundred and county courts as they attended his court at Aston Cantlow . 102 The Hastings , later Earls of Pembroke , remained mesne lords of these lands, which were later

    Parishes Fillongley

    Nat. Biog . G. E. C., op. cit. (2nd ed.), i, 24 and n. Though he held Snitterfield and Aston Cantlow (q.v.) at his death in 1411 : Chan. Inq. p.m. 12 Hen. IV, no. 34. Ibid. 14 Hen. VI,

    Parishes Great Alne

    end of the parish, close to the river, the main part of it along the road from Alcester to Aston Cantlow and Henley-in-Arden . The church and Manor Farm lie north of the road near the west end, approached by

    The borough of Stratford-upon-Avon Churches and charities Plan of Stratford-on-Avon Church Plan of Gild Chapel, Stratford-on-Avon

    f. 138a'; & V.C.H. Warw . ii, 123. John de Stratford had been rector of Stratford . As at Aston Cantlow and Salford Priors . The latter was almost certainly used for a beacon to guide travellers crossing the ford.

Workspace options

Save this search to your workspace

Save checked results (you can make connections from your workspace)

Save and connect checked results to an existing connection

Don't have an account?

Register now to set up your own personal workspace

Bookmarking options

Download options

Click the checkbox next to each item

Donations

As a not-for-profit service, we welcome donations from our users.