skip to the main content area of this page

Search results

You searched for: Place: "Andover", Resource: Victoria County History

Showing 1 resource containing 134 matches.

  • * Victoria County History *

    134 results from this resource, ordered by relevance. Displaying 1 to 20 View more View all

    Alien houses Priory of Andover

    Alien houses Priory of Andover 36. THE PRIORY OF ANDOVER Among the various English gifts that the Conqueror bestowed on the Benedictine abbey of St. Florent, Saumur, was the church of Andover , with a hide and 14 acres of

    Parishes Andover with Foxcott

    Andover Great or East Field , Andover West Field , Andover Down , Andover Marshes , Enham Heath and Finkley Down were inclosed by a Private Act of Parliament. 28 The following place-names are found in documents relating to

    The hundred of Andover Index Map to the Hundred of Andover

    The hundred of Andover THE HUNDRED OF ANDOVER containing the parishes of; Abbotts Ann ; Amport ; Andover ; Foxcott Chapelry; Appleshaw ; Clatford , Upper; Fyfield ; Grately; Kimpton ; Knight's Enham; Monxton ; Penton Mewsey ; Quarley ;

    Parishes Knight's Enham

    militis (xiv cent.); Enam (xv cent.). Knights Enham is a parish bounded on all sides by Andover . There are three detached portions, all lying eastwards of the main parish. The total area is 794 acres. The soil is chiefly

    Parishes Weyhill with Penton Grafton

    caveat was issued that no grant should pass for holding a fair near Andover to the prejudice of Weyhill nor for removing that at Weyhill nearer Andover . 60 This, however, had little effect. At the fair in the following

    Parishes Hurstbourne Tarrant

    the junction of the main road from Andover to Newbury with a road running from St. Mary Bourne to Vernhams Dean. It is on the lowest ground in the parish, the road from Andover dropping at Hurstbourne Hill from a

    Parishes Abbotts Ann

    Ann , which is partly in the hundred of Andover and partly in the hundred of Wherwell , covers an area of 3,396 acres. It lies 3 miles south-west of Andover in the Anna Valley , from which it takes

    The hundred of Wherwell Index Map to the Hundred of Wherwell

    , of which only the tithing of Little Ann had been always reckoned in Wherwell Hundred, was wholly transferred from Andover Hundred (q.v.) thither. Chilbolton , formerly in Buddlesgate Hundred, was added to Wherwell , while Tufton was moved from

    Parishes Goodworth Clatford

    as it is occasionally called, is a narrow strip lying between Upper Clatford , Andover , Wherwell and Lower Wallop, and has a station on the Andover and Redbridge branch of the London and South Western Railway . The land

    The hundred of Thorngate Index Map to the Hundred of Thorngate

    of the hundred has been much altered. Between 1831 and 1841 Shipton Bellinger was removed to the upper half of Andover Hundred. At the same time Michelmersh , Leckford , Longstock and Stockbridge were transferred to this hundred, the first-named

    Parishes Upper Clatford

    ft. The village is long and straggling, lying on both sides of the Andover road , which runs parallel to and west of the Anton and the Andover and Redbridge branch of the London and South Western Railway . The

    Parishes Penton Mewsey

    from Weyhill to Charlton , which skirts the south side of Penton Park , and meeting the high road from Andover to Devizes . The following place-names in Penton Mewsey are mentioned in early documents: 'le Hangere' (xiv cent.) 4

    The hundred of Pastrow Index Map to the Hundred of Pastrow

    list represents the extent of the hundred at the time of the Population Returns of 1831. Tangley was removed to Andover Hundred before 1841, probably in exchange for the parishes of Thruxton and Upper Clatford , 1 which now form

    Parishes Linkenholt

    Lycknoll (xvii cent.). Linkenholt is a small parish containing 1,073 acres, and situated 91/2 miles north of Andover . Berkshire lies to the north, while Wodensdyke forms part of its southern boundary. The little group of buildings comprising the village

    Parishes Laverstoke

    the left bank of the Test, following closely the course of that river, runs the main road from Basingstoke to Andover . The soil is light, the subsoil chalk. The chief crops are wheat, oats and turnips. The area is

    Parishes Crux Easton

    the parish to 870 ft. near Sidown Warren in the north-east. The parish is intersected by the main road from Andover to Newbury , which enters it at the south-west at a height of about 427 ft. above the ordnance

    Parishes Longstock

    i n Andover where the duke frequently stayed but never settled his account in cash, and it was to discharge this debt that he parted with Longstock . 25 Elizabeth daughter of Richard Bird married Ralph Etwall of Andover in

    Parishes Shipton Bellinger

    the possession of Richard Bird . Elizabeth, daughter and heir of Richard, brought Snoddington in marriage to Ralph Etwall of Andover , and the manor continued in the Etwall family until 1885. when Mr. William Etwall sold it to Mr.

    Parishes Amport

    by Mr. Henry Charles Stephens , J.P. It was formerly the seat of Rev. W. Knatchbull . The road from Andover to Amesbury follows the northern border of the parish and the site of the Port Way , to which

    Parishes Longparish

    modernized. Ink Pin 3 Lane branches off from the main Andover t o Basingstoke road at Harewood Farm and runs through the forest to Middleton . Another road from Andover runs south-east towards Bullington , and skirts the northern edge

Workspace options

Save this search to your workspace

Save checked results (you can make connections from your workspace)

Save and connect checked results to an existing connection

Don't have an account?

Register now to set up your own personal workspace

Bookmarking options

Download options

Click the checkbox next to each item

Donations

As a not-for-profit service, we welcome donations from our users.