skip to the main content area of this page

Search results

You searched for: Place: "Aldenham", Resource: Victoria County History

Showing 1 resource containing 63 matches.

  • * Victoria County History *

    63 results from this resource, ordered by relevance. Displaying 1 to 20 View more View all

    Editorial note

    H. M. Turner , and Mr. E. A. Wix , M.A. The Editor is particularly indebted to the late Lord Aldenham , F.S.A., for his interest, help, and sympathy in all that concerned the history of the county. Thanks are

    Parishes St Stephen 's

    their son Henry Hucks Gibbs of Aldenham , 49 created Lord Aldenham , and at his death in September, 1907 , it passed to his son the present Lord Aldenham . Gibbs , Lord Aldenham . Argent three battleaxes sable

    Parishese Elstree

    Elstree from the parish of Aldenham and brings it into connexion with London and St. Albans . It is interesting to notice in a grant of King Offa of 795 that the land of Aldenham extended to the Elstree Woods

    Parishes North Moreton

    whom afterwards acquired the whole, and in 1842 devised it by will to her cousin Henry Hucks Gibbs (afterwards Lord Aldenham ). He sold the manor in 1858 to Mr. Charles Greenwood and the land to various purchasers. 50 From

    Schools Haberdashers Askes Schools

    school was removed to West Hampstead and the girls' to Acton . 18 In 1961 the boys' school moved to Aldenham ( Herts .). In 1964 there were 400 boys in the Junior School and 680 in the Senior School,

    The hundred of Cashio Introduction

    parts of the parishes of St. Michael and St. Peter), Rickmansworth , 'Cassiou' (probably including Watford ), that part of Aldenham held by the abbot of St. Albans , part of Shenley (which is now represented by the parish of

    Parishes Shenley

    Kendal conveyed to John de Toky of Aldenham and Agnes his wife a messuage with 69 acres of land, 3 acres of meadow, and the rent of 10 d . yearly in Aldenham and Titburst, 124 and in 1340 John

    Parishes Clifton Hampden

    His son Henry Hucks Gibbs (d. 1907), created 1st Baron Aldenham in 1896 , still held the manor in 1891 , but gave it to his son Alban, 2nd Baron Aldenham , who was returned as chief landowner in Clifton

    Benedictine monks St Peter's abbey, Westminster

    of the house. 8 Offa's charter, however, which takes the form of a grant of 10 cassates of land at Aldenham to 'the needy people of God in Thorney , in the dreadful spot which is called aet Westminster '

    Edgware Manors

    year after the manor was acquired by All Souls College, the 'manor farm' was leased to R ichard Kynge of Aldenham ( Herts .), husbandman, for ten years at a rent of £8 a year. 39 An unstated amount of

    Little Stanmore Economic history

    Works Programme of 1935-40 , as a depot to serve the proposed extension of the tube line from Edgware to Aldenham ( Herts .). During the Second World War an aircraft factory occupied the site, where in 1956 , after

    Landownership Hungerford estate

    , formerly held by Elizabeth Young , Christian Shuckburgh , and Thomas Shuckburgh , had passed to Edward Harris of Aldenham ( Herts .), together with the messuage called the Dog tavern, formerly held by Thomas Creake , with an

    Hospitals Bridgnorth

    ); 15 and two messuages by Thomas de Holcumbe and Henry of Larden, chaplains ( 1344 ). 16 William of Aldenham and two chaplains sought licence to grant two further messuages in the town in 1371 . 17 By the

    Watford Manors

    231 Edward, Lord Denny , sold this manor with the exception of the site in 1607 to Robert Briscoe of Aldenham , 232 who conveyed it in the same year to Sir Baptist Hicks and William Toperley, of London .

    Parishes Burcot

    of purchases by the Gibbs family of Clifton Hampden , the principal landowners in the 20th century were the Lords Aldenham . 39 Another manor seems to have descended from the Burcot fee of the Le Moines, who held in

    Hendon Other estates

    1828 , 24 may have originated in a grant of land and rent by John le Bret to William of Aldenham , goldbeater of London , in 1308 . 25 John Goldbeater held a house and some land of the

    South Mimms Manors

    Sir Roger Lewknor and committed to prison. 86 Accordingly Henry sold the manor of Weld and lands in Shenley , Aldenham , and St. Albans ( Herts .) in 1473 87 and sold the manor of Durhams and land in

    Hospitals St Mary within Cripplegate

    Abbots, Amwell , Broxbourne , and Hoddesdon , co. Herts .; and the advowsons of the churches of Thele and Aldenham , co. Herts ., which were appropriated to the college. 15 If the bishop by this measure had aimed

    Watford Churches and charities

    Holy Rood in Market Street was completed in 1895 at the charges of Mr. Stephen Taprell Holland of Otterspool , Aldenham . CHARITIES In 1580 Franci s earl of Bedford and the Lady Bridget his wife by deed poll founded

    Colleges of secular canons Bridgnorth , St Mary Magdalen

    was acquired in 1554 by Thomas Reeve and George Cotton , 135 who then sold it to William Acton of Aldenham . 136 Alveley prebend, which had been leased to William Gatacre in 1561 , 137 was granted to the

Workspace options

Save this search to your workspace

Save checked results (you can make connections from your workspace)

Save and connect checked results to an existing connection

Don't have an account?

Register now to set up your own personal workspace

Bookmarking options

Download options

Click the checkbox next to each item

Donations

As a not-for-profit service, we welcome donations from our users.