skip to the main content area of this page

Search results

You searched for: Place: "Albourne", Resource: Victoria County History

Showing 1 resource containing 32 matches.

  • * Victoria County History *

    32 results from this resource, ordered by relevance. Displaying 1 to 20 View more View all

    Albourne Nonconformity

    Albourne Nonconformity NONCONFORMITY. Joan Alchorne of Albourne , who possibly lived at Bishops Place, was recorded as a recusant in 1593 , 18 and a schoolmistress in a Roman Catholic household was mentioned in 1605 . 19 The three dissenters

    Albourne Education

    Albourne Education EDUCATION. There was a day school in 1808 . 22 In 1819 it was attended by 22 children and financed by subscriptions. 23 There were two day schools in 1835 , with a total of 62 boys

    Hospitals Windham

    of the hospital. 2 Simon de Bosco of Albourne sold to the bishop, 'for the support of the infirm chaplains and clerks dwelling in the hospital of Wyndham ,' lands in Albourne parish, and other lands there were purchased for

    Woodmancote Charity for the poor

    s . 4 d . was divided equally between the parishes, to Woodmancote in fuel and to Albourne in money. 63 In 1964 Albourne received £8 8 s . 4 d . a year. 64 Distribution in Woodmancote in 1984

    Albourne Economic history

    Albourne Economic history ECONOMIC HISTORY. The Albourne manor demesne farm had 316 a., including woodland, c . 1265. 65 In 1743, when it was called Albourne Place farm, it included the former Albourne park and comprised 400 a., 66 and

    Albourne Albourne and Woodmancote c. 1875

    AlbourneALBOURNEALBOURNE 1 lies on the west side of the London- Brighton road two miles (3.2 km.) north of the South Downs , and forms a salient of Bramber rape into Lewes rape. In 1881 it had 1,763 a.,

    Albourne Local government

    Albourne Local government LOCAL GOVERNMENT. There are incomplete court rolls of Albourne manor for the years 1687- 1905 ; they include the proceedings of eight courts held between 1687 and 1792 , but other courts were held at various dates

    Albourne Manors and other estates

    Albourne Manors and other estates MANORS AND OTHER ESTATES. The manor of ALBOURNE was held of Stretham in Henfield in the Middle Ages. 92 It seems always to have descended with Lancing from c . 1200 until 1499, 93 and

    Albourne Church

    Albourne Church CHURCH. Architectural evidence indicates a church at Albourne by the 12th century. 61 The benefice was a rectory by 1291 . 62 Between 1958 and 1971 it was held in plurality with Woodmancote , and between 1971 and

    Tipnoak Hundred

    (i.e. Stretham ), Woodmancote , and Wantley manors. 7 Later it comprised Albourne , Henfield , and Woodmancote parishes, 8 divided into the tithings of Bishopshurst (in Albourne ), Buckwish, Chestham, Intithing, and Oreham in Henfield , and Bilsborough or

    Woodmancote Church

    1220s the benefice was a rectory. 78 From 1958 it was held in plurality with Albourne , 79 and in 1978 it became part of the united benefice of Henfield with Shermanbury and Woodmancote , the parishes remaining distinct. 80

    List of maps

    54 Crawley : boundary changes, 1933-1983 76 Crawley neighbourhoods, c . 1982 78 Horsham and surroundings, c . 1875 96 Albourne and Woodmancote , c . 1875 122 Henfield , c . 1875 132 Henfield village, c . 1955 136

    Bramber Rape (North-eastern Part) Bramber Rape c. 1875

    routes to the resort, but the main Brighton road in later times passed through Crawley and Albourne ; both places had important inns, though Albourne village itself was bypassed. A western bypass for Crawley was constructed in the 1930s ;

    List of illustrations

    of Albourne village in 1681 . From W.S.R.O., Cap. I/29/19 " 128 Albourne : Albourne Place . Photograph, 1924, by Country Life " 128 Ifield : the George hotel, Crawley . Photograph, c . 1920 (N.M.R.) " 129 Albourne :

    Woodmancote

    in Henfield was irregular, as was the eastern boundary with Albourne at Wick Farmhouse, which was bisected by the boundary; in 1267 Wick manor was apparently said to be in Albourne , 53 though later it seems always to have

    Parishes Hurstpierpoint

    William Juxon , bart., of Albourne , who in 1664 conveyed it to Anne Swayne , widow, apparently his aunt, 64 and her son Richard Swayne 65 sold it in 1670 to Thomas Marchant of Albourne . 66 It remained

    East Easwrith Hundred

    apparently descended with Bramber rape. 15 In 1652 it was sold to a Col. Juxon , possibly John Juxon of Albourne Place . 16 The hundred had reverted by 1662 to Thomas Howard , duke of Norfolk (d. 1677). 17

    Index A-J

    see Gatwick aisled halls , Akingfield , see Cowfold Albourne , adv., agric., Albourne Ho ., see Bishopshurst: man.: ho. Albourne Place , see Albourne : man.: ho. Albourne Street , Albourne with Sayers Common and Twineham , united benefice,

    Woodmancote Economic history

    284 a. in 1558 -9, when they were let. 78 In 1768 Wick farm had 363 a. in Woodmancote and Albourne . 79 Morley Park farm was leased together with Woodhouse and Bilsborough farms in 1818 , when they comprised

    Henfield Henfield c. 1875 Henfield village c. 1955

    at least two outside the par., Sir Wm . Percy at Woodmancote , and Thos. Radmyld perhaps at Albourne : above, Albourne , manors; below, Woodmancote , manors. S.R.S . lvi. 70. Ibid. v. 94-6. S.A.C . xlv. 144. W.S.R.O.,

Workspace options

Save this search to your workspace

Save checked results (you can make connections from your workspace)

Save and connect checked results to an existing connection

Don't have an account?

Register now to set up your own personal workspace

Bookmarking options

Download options

Click the checkbox next to each item

Donations

As a not-for-profit service, we welcome donations from our users.