skip to the main content area of this page

Search results

You searched for: Place: "Abridge", Resource: Victoria County History

Showing 1 resource containing 24 matches.

  • * Victoria County History *

    24 results from this resource, ordered by relevance. Displaying 1 to 20 View more View all

    Lambourne Parish government and poor relief

    the parish vestry. There were stocks at Abridge in 1585 , when a vagrant was reported to have escaped from them. 46 In 1728 it was decided to build a parish cage at Abridge with the timber recently removed from

    Lambourne Introduction

    Abridge Coffee Rooms and Club existed in 1886 and later. 55 There was a cricket club at Abridge in 1895 . 56 There was a police sergeant at Abridge in 1898 . 57 There is now a policeman at

    Stapleford Abbots Protestant nonconformity

    Abbots at the house of Edward Braden . 70 About 1858 Mr. Knight, of the Congregational church at Abridge (in Lambourne ) was conducting services at Bourne Bridge . 71 G. L. Turner , Orig. Recs. of Early Nonconf .,

    Lambourne Nonconformity

    1833 a Wesleyan chapel was opened at Abridge . Sermons were preached at the first services by the Revd. J. T. Yeates of Romford and the Revd. T. R. Fisher of Hammersmith . The chapel was estimated to accommodate 150.

    Lambourne Schools

    been made. All the available places in the free school were taken and a day school had been founded at Abridge . In 1833 there were 64 pupils at this school, of whom 50 paid fees and 14 were paid

    Lambourne Charities

    the Old Church House of about 1671. The parish formerly owned cottages near the river next to Hull Mead at Abridge . In 1731 they were said to be for the use of the poor. 94 They were sold in

    North Weald Bassett Nonconformity

    1867 to 1875 services were held in the parish at Tylers Green , in connexion with the Congregational church at Abridge in Lambourne (q.v.). 51 In 1883 a Wesleyan Methodist chapel at Thorn - wood Common was placed on the

    Chigwell Protestant nonconformity

    During the early 1840's, under its minister the Revd. T. Hill , it made itself responsible for the mission at Abridge (in Lambourne , q.v.). 39 During the next ten years the Chigwell Row church was in difficulties. 40 In

    Theydon Bois Introduction

    includes some 300 acres at the north end of Epping Forest . The road from Abridge (in Lambourne , q.v.) enters the parish by Abridge Bridge over the Roding and runs northwest through Theydon Bois to the 'Wake Arms' in

    Lambourne Church

    Sir Edward Hughes ( 1794 ), his wife, and his two stepsons. 7 The church of THE HOLY TRINITY , Abridge , was built in 1836 as a chapel of ease to the parish church. 8 It was then a

    Loughton Protestant nonconformity

    probably dating from the middle of the 19th century and somewhat similar in appearance to the former Congregational Chapel at Abridge (in Lambourne , q.v.). 18 In June 1946 , on the recommendation of the Methodist General Purposes Committee, it

    Stapleford Abbots Introduction

    the bridge a lane leads south-east to Albyns , 22 which lies in a park, and the main road via Abridge to London runs west. On the north side of the London road , about ΒΌ mile west of Passingford

    Lambourne Manors

    in the hands of the Hospitallers until the Dissolution. In 1553 it was granted, as the 'manors' of Lambourne and Abridge , to Richard Morgan and Thomas Carpenter . 41 Soon after this it was acquired by Robert Taverner ,

    Parishes Michelmersh

    two others of the lord bishops were no more able to argue in the Scriptures than 'one old Coles of Abridge who goeth about a begging.' 57 In 1248 the prior and convent of St. Swithun and the rector of

    Epping Introduction and manors EPPING 1964

    through Abridge - both involving a longer journey than the present main road through the forest via Woodford . There has been much discussion as to the origins of the present road and the exact course of the old Abridge

    Chigwell Introduction Chigwell Urban District

    Rolls the main road is called Abridge Road . Half a mile north-east of Rolls, immediately south of the Roding, is Woolston Hall (see Manors). Pudding Lane and Gravel Lane run south from Abridge Road near Woolston to Chigwell Row

    The Hundred of Ongar

    Ongar : it was probably identical with the Passfield of 1086. Barringtons was mentioned as a hamlet of Chigwell and Abridge of Lambourne . There was an entry for Roding Morrell and one for Westwood (a detached part of High

    Fyfield Introduction

    1826-7 a coach ran from Ongar and Fyfield on every day except Sunday, to the 'Bull', Aldgate , passing through Abridge and Chigwell . 47 The vans of S. Clements and the wagons of Thomas Nichol also served Fyfield and

    Chipping Ongar Introduction

    as a daily horse-ride in a post-office map of 1813. 1 The ride from Epping loops south as far as Abridge and goes on through Stanford Rivers . In 1810 James Merrington resigned and James Scruby was made deputy-postmaster at

    Theydon Garnon Introduction

    Bois and Theydon Garnon via Abridge Bridge . 39 Early in the 17th century a new road was built through Epping Forest between Loughton and Epping and this took the place of the longer Abridge section of the route. 40

Workspace options

Save this search to your workspace

Save checked results (you can make connections from your workspace)

Save and connect checked results to an existing connection

Don't have an account?

Register now to set up your own personal workspace

Bookmarking options

Download options

Click the checkbox next to each item

Donations

As a not-for-profit service, we welcome donations from our users.